What is GruntWorx?
GruntWorx is a secure, web-based application that automates the time-consuming tasks of organizing data and entering it in Drake tax software. This cutting-edge technology is integrated into Drake and uses Drake Documents (previously Drake Document Manager or DDM) for scanning, printing and file management. It is accessed from the GruntWorx icon on the home Drake screen or from Drake Documents Working Cabinet.
Note: GruntWorx Populate and Trades products can only be used in the current year of Drake Tax Software. You can request a prior year Organize job, but no add-on products can be processed for prior year returns.
GruntWorx Product Types
GruntWorx offers different "job" types to improve your office productivity:
- Organize LITE- GruntWorx Organize LITE, a page processing product that offers access to the GruntWorx Organize service for individual income tax-related documents, with the exception that documents are processed strictly with no human validation. With acceptable scan quality, you receive an organized document back in minutes. See Add GruntWorx to Your Tax Practice for more information (Drake Support login required).
- Organize – the core product that provides you with a bookmarked client PDF, organized by categories that follow the standard tax return order.
- Populate – an add-on product that extracts taxpayer information from a variety of common tax forms and provides you with an .XML data file that you can import into Drake.
- Populate is available for current year individual 1040 returns only.
- Trades – an add-on product that extracts brokerage trades from 1099-Bs and consolidated brokerage statements and provides you with an Excel spreadsheet (.XLS file) that you can use with the Drake Schedule D import function.
- Trades import is available for individual and business package types 1040, 1041, 1120, 1120-S, and 1065.
The Populate and Trades add-ons extract data from forms submitted and incorporated in the bookmarked Organize PDF. Populate and Trades add-ons substantially reduce, but do not eliminate all data entry, and you are still responsible for reviewing imported data to ensure it is correctly entered in the software.
There are six steps to using GruntWorx:
- Gather your client’s tax documents.
- Scan the tax documents as a PDF document into the client's Drake Documents folder. You can scan them into Drake Documents as separate PDFs or as a single PDF, in any sequence, as long as each tax document is scanned as a separate page and the pages of multi-page documents such as brokerage statements and K-1 papers are scanned sequentially.
- Submit the PDF as a job to GruntWorx using Drake Documents interface. You may opt to receive an email when your job is done processing, which can take just a few minutes or up to 24 hours on peak production days.
- Download the completed job using Drake Documents by checking the box next to your completed job in the Job Status window and then selecting Download. The product returned to you will consist of the client's Organized job (the bookmarked PDF) and any Populate and/or Trades add-ons for importation.
- Review the bookmarks and the Excel Trade sheet for accuracy.
- Import your client’s tax data by selecting the Import icon on main data screen of the return in Drake.
The Organize product is a PDF that is bookmarked to allow you to immediately select and view a document. The bookmarks classify, organize and label IRS documents in a standard order.
- “Income” documents
- “Adjustments” documents
- “Deductions” documents
- “Credits” documents
- “Supporting” documents
- Medical, Donations, Correspondence, Statements, Invoices, Other Taxes, Instructions, Extensions, and EF-Authorization.
- “Poor Quality/Handwritten Notes”
An Organize PDF looks like this:
A Trades add-on in Excel looks like this:
Please note, you are charged for every client submission regardless of whether you previously submitted the same client. Before you submit a client's documents to GruntWorx, make sure you have all the client's tax documents and determine whether you a want a Populate or Trades add-on. Once you submit a client, you cannot modify or add to the Organize job or change any requests for a Populate or Trades add-on – you will have to start with a new submission. Missing documents cannot be added to the client's Organize PDF except by resubmitting all documents, at which point you will be charged a second time. Populate and Trades add-ons not requested in a client's submission are not available later except as add-ons to a new Organize job.
Turnaround time depends on file size. When uploading, you can schedule an email to be sent to you when files are ready to download.
Although you can scan and upload individual clients separately, you probably will want to use the batch scan/upload feature so that you can scan documents for multiple clients at one time and upload them to GruntWorx together. An individual does not need tax training to perform this task.
GruntWorx products are charged on a per-page, per-form, and per-trade basis, depending on which service you choose: Organize LITE, Organize, Populate or Trades.
Please note that in the above pricing structure, the cost to populate or process trades is in addition to the cost of the organize for the same form. Use the GruntWorx cost estimator to calculate approximate costs.
Previously, GruntWorx pricing was done through the purchase of Tokens. See "GruntWorx Tokens - Purchase, Use and Expiration" in Related Links at the bottom of this page.
Preparing to Use GruntWorx
System Requirements: To use GruntWorx, a computer meeting Drake16 system requirements also needs
- Drake Documents. Note that Drake Documents requires Microsoft .NET Framework v. 4.0 or later. If you have not kept up with regular Window updates and are running an older version of .NET Framework, you will automatically be directed to the Microsoft website, where you can download (at no charge) the newest version of .NET.
- Adobe Reader (required), Adobe Standard (recommended)
- Microsoft Excel 2003 or later (for Trades)
Scan clarity affects the accuracy of GruntWorx products. Documents that don't scan properly are included in the Organize PDF, but they may be bookmarked "Poor Quality/Handwritten Notes" and may not permit data extraction for Populate or Trades files. Please review "GruntWorx - Scanning Documents" (in Related Links below) for best practices.
Drake Documents' features necessary for using GruntWorx are supplied in Drake's January release.
More information, tutorials, and cost estimators are available at Drake Support > My Account > GruntWorx Integration.
For a free trial of Gruntworx, contact Drake Software at 828-349-5505 or email GruntWorxsupport@drakesoftware.com.