I have entered student loan interest but it is not reflected in the 1040.
The student loan interest deduction is entered on line 33 of screen 4, Adjustments.
If you don’t see the deduction reflected on line 33, review the WKs SLID (WK_SLID in Drake15 and prior) in View mode of the return. It provides the calculation results for the deduction. If the WKs SLID is not produced, it's likely that the taxpayer does not qualify for the deduction.
Generally, the taxpayer may claim this deduction if:
- The filing status is any filing status except married filing separately (MFS).
- No one else is claiming an exemption for the taxpayer on another return.
- The taxpayer is legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan.
- The taxpayer paid interest on a qualified student loan.
- The modified AGI (MAGI) is less than $80,000 if single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er) or $160,000 if married filing jointly.
For more information regarding the student loan interest deduction, refer to