How do I e-file an automatic 6 month extension for an individual federal return?
Extensions are generated from the EXT screen (Other Forms tab). An extension does not extend the time to pay tax due.
For tax year 2016: Returns and extensions have to be filed by midnight your local time on the normal due date of the return, in the case of a 1040 return, April 18, 2017. The perfection period for 1040 returns and Form 4868 extensions is 5 days, ending on April 23, 2017. Pub. 4164, p. 18. For more information about correcting a rejected extension, see “1040 Deadline and Grace Period - Perfecting a Rejected Timely Filing” in Related Links below.
We recommend that you e-file as early as possible before the deadline to ensure a timely filing.
To e-file an extension, you must take the following steps:
- Open the return.
- Enter demographic information on screen 1.
- Open the EXT screen (Other Forms tab).
- From the drop list for the 4868 box, select X to produce Form 4868.
- Indicate the amount to be paid with the extension. Make one of the following entries, or the "Amount you are paying" on the 4868 will be blank.
- Select the option Taxpayer is paying the entire amount of tax due, or
- Enter the amount in the field Amount paid with extension.
- Enter the financial data required by the 4868, which you can do either on the EXT screen or in data entry in the return. Override fields on the 4868 screen draw from the return if no data is entered there.
- Open the EF screen
- Under Federal E-file Override, check the 4868 box.
- Under State E-file Override, check Do NOT send any states (unless you intend to send a state return).
- Arrange payment:
- For direct debit payment
- Complete the PMT screen, taking care to select the 4868 option.
- Complete the PIN screen, taking care to select
- the 4868 with payment option and
- the Direct Debit Consent option.
- For credit card payment, click the link Pay balance due with credit card at the top of the 4868 screen.
- For check payment, generate a voucher by selecting the option Produce 1040-V for extension on the EXT screen. The voucher shows the amount paid that is displayed on the 4868 unless you enter a different amount in the associated override field.
- View the return and clear all errors on the ETD_MSG page. View the EFSTATUS page and confirm that the 4868 will be transmitted (note - the EFSTATUS page is produced only if Print EF status page is selected at Setup > Options > EF tab).
- Exit the return. Open the EF Selector Screen (EF > Select Returns for EF). Confirm that the 4868 alone is listed for the return in the EF Documents column of the EF Return Selector screen. If so, proceed through the usual steps to select and transmit.
- Demographic information. You must enter demographics (name, address, etc.) on screen 1 in order to get that information on the 4868. This can’t be done on the EXT screen.
- Payment amount. If Taxpayer is paying the entire amount of tax due is selected, the Amount you are paying line on the 4868 will show full payment of the estimated amount. You can override this line by entering a number (not zero) in the Amount paid with extension field.
- Financial information. If you haven’t entered financial data in the return, use overrides on the EXT screen to enter the
- Screen Help. More information is available by clicking Screen Help on the EXT screen.
- If e-filing a state extension, the PIN screen may need to be completed to allow State extension e-filing (where supported) even if the PIN screen is not required for the federal extension.