How can I email a Tax Planner, Return, Organizer, or Proforma to a client?
You can email returns, organizers, and proformas that have been saved as PDF documents. There are a few ways to do this from Drake Tax:
- To email directly from Drake Tax, you must have a MAPI-compliant Windows default email program installed, such as Outlook, or a third-party email account that you set up in Drake. See "Drake Email Setup" in Related Links below.
- Alternatively, print the documents to PDF from Drake Tax and then either:
- save the PDF to Drake Documents and email them from within Drake Documents (either Working or Archive Cabinet). You can use a MAPI-compliant Windows default email program such as Outlook or your Drake third-party email, if you have set it up in Drake Tax.
- or save the PDF to any location to which you can browse, and email them with your personal/business email program (outside Drake Tax-- i.e. Gmail, Ymail, etc.).
The recipient of the email must have Adobe Reader installed to view the PDF file. Adobe Reader can be downloaded and installed from Adobe.com
Password protection can be added when you email a PDF return from Drake Software or from the Drake Documents.
Drake Portals - SecureFileProTM is a secure alternative to emailing organizers or proformas. You can post organizers and proformas on individual client portals on Drake servers, where your clients can log in and download them. See Related Links below.
To email directly from Drake Tax
Tax Planners and Returns
- Open the Tax Planner/Return, click View or Print, and select the return documents or the document sets you want to email.
- Click the Email button to use your default View Mode email setup, or click the down arrow and from the drop list, select one of these options:
- Email to Client (using Windows default email) to use your Windows default email problem, such as Outlook.
- Email to Client (using Drake email) to use a third-party email account that you have set up in Drake.
- You are prompted to accept a default password for the attachment. The email text tells your client how to open the attachment if you are using the standard password format (the first selection in the drop list on the Administrative Options tab at Setup > Options). If you use any other password format, change the email instructions to match, or supply the password to your client by some other method.
- Watermarks can be set on the email dialog box that appears before the selected document is printed for email attachment.
Organizers and Proformas
Before starting, prepare a list of the email addresses of the clients to whom you intend to email - the addresses are not supplied by the software. Organizers and proformas must be emailed individually, although you can prepare them in a batch.
- One option in Drake is to use the View button when preparing organizers or proformas (on the Print Organizers/Proformas dialog box after you click Process ….). This allows you to prepare and immediately print and email an individual organizer or proforma. Organizer/proforma View displays any form that was present in the client's return last year or that you selected in the Options list. You can compose an organizer or proforma for the client by selecting what you want from the organizer/proforma pages displayed in the Options list. Your View selections are not saved and do not affect the results of the organizer/proforma produced. If you complete the process, it also produces another copy of an organizer or proforma for the client without regard to your View selections.
- You can print organizers or proformas, individually or in a batch, to Drake Documents and then email them to your clients from there.
Note: Beginning in Drake16, you can create Fillable PDFs of Organizers that can be emailed directly to clients. See Related Links below for more information.
To email from Drake Documents
Drake Documents' Working and Archive Cabinets can use a MAPI-compliant Windows default email program such as Outlook or your Drake third-party email, if you have set it up within Drake Tax Software.
- Print the return or organizer/proforma documents to Drake Documents using Drake PDF Printer from the print dialog box.
- Open Drake Documents and find the documents.
- Password protect the documents if desired.
- Select one or more documents to email (select multiple documents by holding the Shift key down while clicking each document with your mouse).
- Click Email on the toolbar. Your email editor opens with the documents attached. Add the client address, subject line and any message and proceed as you normally do to send the email. Don’t forget to add instructions, if the documents are password protected.
To email from your personal/business email program
- Print the return or organizer/proforma documents to Drake Documents or another location you can find, using the Drake PDF Printer. If you print to Drake Documents, you can add password protection there.
- Open your email program, begin a new email message and then click Attachments (your email editor may have a paperclip icon or another icon or command to attach a file).
- Browse to the location of the saved PDF file and attach it to the message.
- Add the client address, subject line, and any message, then proceed as you normally do to send the email. Don’t forget to add instructions if the documents are password protected.
Password Options when Emailing a Client Document from Drake Tax
The password explanation in the email is based on the standard password format, which is the first one in the drop list on the Administrative Options tab at Setup > Options. The email explanation doesn't change if you change the password from the standard format. If you don't use the standard password format, you have to change the email explanation or provide the password to your client by another means.
You are prompted to accept a default password whenever you select a document and click the Email or Print button in Print/View. The prompt offers a default password using the password format you have selected on the Administrative Options tab at Setup > Options. You can also modify the prompted password or delete it when you print or email.
Note: Beginning with Drake13, for email attachments sent from Print/View, you can clear the password globally at Setup > Options > Administrative Options.