What are the basic steps to create a new return?
Basic steps for creating a new return are shown below, illustrated with a 1040 return.
- Select Open/Create in the top left corner of the software home page. Enter the taxpayer’s SSN (field shown highlighted below). As soon as you begin to type, any existing numbers in this field will clear. Use the Backspace key to clear, if necessary.
- Click OK.
- A message is displayed asking if you would like to create a new return. Select Yes.
- In the New Return dialog box, choose a return type and enter the name. Click OK.
- The return opens to screen 1, the Name and Address screen (demographics). Select a Filing Status and enter information as necessary (blue fields are required).
After you enter the zip code and press Enter, the software fills in the city, state, and resident state. You will need to select the resident city and school district (if applicable).
If the taxpayer lived in multiple states during the tax year, select PY (part-year) as the Resident State (field located directly below the Mailing Address section).
- Return Options: The default for Preparer # is the logged-in preparer. If you are logged in as Admin, Preparer 1 is the default. Enter a total preparer fee in the Fee override field if you are not charging by time or per form. Press Esc to exit the screen.
- The software returns you to the General tab. Screens numbered 1 to 5 represent sections of a 1040 return. Data (such as taxable interest less than $1,500) not requiring a schedule may be directly entered on each screen. Note: The key combination Ctrl + G will open Forms Based Data Entry with links to other data entry screens.
- Located on the General tab are many of the common screens, such as the W2, 1099, SSA, A, 2106, and 2441 screens.
- To access other forms, enter the form number in the field available at the bottom of each data entry screen.
- Additional screens are also available on each tab across the top of data entry.
Note: Highlighted tabs indicate screens have been completed on that tab.
- Once all data has been entered, select View or use the key combination Ctrl + V to calculate and view the return. Select Data Entry or use the key combination Ctrl + E to return to data entry for additional entries or adjustments.