Knowledge Base

10296: 1040 - Schedule H - Household Employment Taxes FAQs

1040 Individual Generally

1040 Schedule H - Household Employment Taxes - Common Questions

Screen H is available for completion on the Taxes tab in an individual return.

If the taxpayer is a household employer, they must:

  • Have an EIN,
  • File forms W2 and W3 by the W2/W3 due date (typically January 31),
  • File Schedule H, and pay household employment taxes with their 20YY tax return.

Note: Household employees must record their wages earned from household employers. See Related Links below for information about household employees. 

From the front page of the Instructions for Schedule H:

"What do I do after I fill in Schedule H?

If you must file a 20YY tax return, enter the taxes from Schedule H on the “Household employment taxes” line of your Form 1040, 1040-NR, 1040-SS, or 1041. You do this because these taxes are added to your income taxes.

How do I file Schedule H?

File Schedule H with your Form 1040, 1040-NR, 1040-SS, or 1041. If you’re not filing a 20YY tax return, file Schedule H by itself.

Do I make a separate payment?

No. You pay both income and employment taxes to the United States Treasury when you file Schedule H with your return.

When do I pay?

Most filers must pay by April 15.

How many copies of Form W-3 do I send to the SSA?

Send one copy of Form W-3 with Copy A of Form(s) W-2 to the SSA, and keep one copy of Form W-3 for your records. Instructions for filing Forms W-2 and Form W-3 electronically are available at"

- Preparer information appears at the bottom of Schedule H if No is answered to the last question on screen H, Is the taxpayer required to file Form 1040?
- Household employers are required to have an EIN. See How to Apply for an EIN.
- More information is available in IRS Publication 926.

Related Links

Also In This Category

Article has been viewed 17K times.
Last Modified: 2 Years Ago