How do I download and install states for use in Drake Tax?
Installing States after Federal Installation
Starting in Drake 07, use this process if you are installing states after you have already downloaded Drake Tax (for Drake 06 and prior, see below). This process can also be used to install additional states that were not installed during the federal installation. You need an active internet connection to download state software. It’s a good idea to install only those states that you need immediately, to avoid excessive download times.
Note: The Setup > ERO and Account Information screen must be completed with your Drake account number, EFIN, and case-sensitive Drake e-File password entered, before installing state programs. Your Drake e-File password may be retrieved by going to the Drake Software Support website > My Account > My Serial Numbers.
To download and install a state program, follow these steps or see video Installing State Programs:
- Open the software and go to Tools > Install State Programs. The Install State Programs screen opens.
- Click the drop list for Install state(s) from this location and select Drake Download Center.
- The software retrieves and displays the list of States Available for Download. Click the state you want to install, or press CTRL + Left Click to highlight multiple states.
- Click the Select button.
- The selected states appear in the States Selected for Installation section. Choose any additional states you want to install.
- Alternatively, skip steps 2-4, and click Select All to install all available state programs.
- When you have finished selecting states for installation, click the Install button. The software downloads and installs the state programs.
- When the process is complete, State installation(s) complete! appears over the progress bar and the States Selected for Installation window clears. Click Exit and exit the installation screen.
Your state program(s) are now installed. To confirm state installation:
- Open an individual return, click the States tab and click the state you just installed. The state data entry opens.
- Or go to Tools > Install State Programs. Click Uninstall State(s). A list of installed states appears in the States to Be Uninstalled window. Click Exit to leave the Remove States screen without uninstalling any states.
Note: This process can also be used to resolve the error "State is not installed/accessible on the application drive." This error occurs when a state is referenced on a federal screen (such as a W2), but the state module is not installed.
Installing States During Federal Installation
Note: This feature is available beginning with the Drake15 program.
The Install States feature is NOT available until the second release (January release) of the software.
As of August 2016, the Drake Tax program allows state downloads from the Drake Support Website during the federal program installation. To install the state programs from the Download Center, take the following steps:
- Login to the Drake Software Support website with your Drake user account credentials.
- From the menu on the left, click on Resources> Download Center.
- Select Drake Software 20YY. The Drake License and Non-Disclosure Agreement will open.
- Below the License Agreement section, click the Download button.
- Click Run when prompted. (The Save option will work if Run is not an available option.)
- A window will open prompting to Click Yes to begin installing 20YY Drake Software, No to Exit. Click Yes.
- Once the Drake 20YY Installation Program window opens, select the drive to which you would like the Drake program installed.
- Select each state you would like to install in the lower half of the screen by double clicking on each state, highlighting and clicking Select, or clicking Select All.
- Once all desired states have been selected, click Next.
- Confirm your options, then click Install.
Installing state programs for Drake06 and prior
After installing a prior-year federal program (Drake 02 - Drake 06), you will need to download state software from the Download Center separately. State files can be run, or downloaded and saved for later installation. Running the state file or opening the downloaded state file installs the state software directly to the federal program.