How do I amend Form 706, United States Estate (and Generation Skipping Transfer) Tax Return?
To amend a 706 return:
- File another 706 and write “Supplemental Information” across the top of page 1 of the amended return; and
- attach copies of pages 1, 2 and 3 of the return previously filed.
Drake Tax will print “Supplemental Information” across page 1 if Amended return is selected on DEMO screen.
Note: Before amending any return, make sure you have a copy of the original return.
See the 706 Instructions for details.
- Make a backup of the client file so you can restore the original if you need a fresh start while you are working on the amendment.
- Make a permanent copy of the original return for your records. Use one or more of these options:
- Print a hard copy of the return.
- Print the return using the Drake PDF Printer to Drake Document Manager.
- Archive the return with Archive Manager (see Related Links below).
- Amended 706 returns cannot be e-filed.