When processing acknowledgements (ACKS), I am getting an error about the RSN not matching or that the Post Failed.
What is the RSN?
The RSN (Return Sequence Number) is a unique 16-digit number assigned by the transmitter to each return within a return transmission. The RSN consists of the following fields:
- Electronic Transmitter Identification Number (ETIN) of the transmitter (5 numeric characters)
- Transmitter Use Field, the value of which is determined by the transmitting electronic filer (2 numeric characters)
- Julian Day of Transmission (3 numeric characters)
- Transmission Sequence Number for the given Julian Day (2 numeric characters (00-99))
- Sequence Number assigned to the return (4 numeric characters (0000-9999)
What does the RSN do?
Its practical function is to enable the software to identify the correct return to which an acknowledgement belongs.
What is meant by "RSN does not match?"
When you process acks, if the RSN on the acknowledgment does not match the RSN for a return in your EF database, you may see the error message RSN Does Not Match. Resolving this error requires assistance from Drake Support, (828) 524-8020, and may involve repairing your local EF database.
A common cause of this error is transmitting a return from one computer and picking up the acknowledgement on another. On the second computer, the software cannot find the original transmission file with the proper RSN. As a result, the acknowledgement will not post and cannot be viewed in the EF database (EF > Search EF Database). If the unposted acknowledgement is for a check, the check will not be available for printing.
RSN mismatch also can occur if an acknowledgement is picked up with prior or later-year software; e.g. a 2015 acknowledgement picked up by Drake14.
If you did not transmit from more than one computer, you may be able to post the acknowledgement by completing the following steps:
- Go to Tools > Repair Index Files > Repair All. Select Continue. Select Replace Current Index, click OK and confirm at the prompt.
- Check to see if acknowledgement was able to post by going to EF > Search EF Database. Enter the ID number. Click Go. Posted acks can be viewed at the bottom of the screen.
- If you still do not see the ack posted, call Drake Software Support for assistance at (828) 524-8020.
The message may show as "one match for SSN but none had all correct data," or "one match for SSN but data not complete." It is often produced if the software attempts to post a bank acknowledgement to the e-filing record, but the EF database on the computer does not show the IRS “A” acknowledgement for the return.
Complete the following steps:
- Go to Tools > Repair Index Files and choose Repair All. Click Continue.
- Select the third option, Replace Current Index. Click OK.
- Click Yes to the popup. When the process is complete, click Exit.
- Go to EF > Process Acks.
If the acknowledgement still shows the error message, contact Support at (828) 524-8020.
The acknowledgement can be “rehung” or resent to you. It is also possible that your firewall is blocking the ack from posting to your software.