How can I get the software to automatically produce estimated tax vouchers?
In Drake14 and prior, the software does not generate estimated tax vouchers by default. To get them to print, you must select an estimate (ES) code on the ES screen.
Beginning with Drake14, you no longer can override the ES codes at the bottom of screen 1 under Return Options. Instead, a link directs you to the ES screen to select an ES code and complete data entry:
Beginning in Drake 15, three significant changes were made to the ES Estimated Taxes screen for all packages:
- The program automatically generates federal estimated tax payment vouchers when they are required - for instance, when the taxpayer has a balance due of $1,000 or more - unless you choose to not generate the vouchers.
- You can opt to not generate the vouchers globally by navigating to Setup > Options > Form & Schedule Options, then selecting Print ES voucher only when screen ES indicates. If this option is checked, estimates must be generated manually by making entries on the ES screen in each return for which estimates are needed.
- You can also choose to not generate vouchers on a return-by-return basis by opening the ES screen and choosing N on the ES Code drop-down field, as shown below:
- If you are not filing all four quarterly vouchers - for instance, if filing too late to pay first quarter payment - the program now adds the amount of the missed payment to the next available voucher. Enter 0 in the Estimate amt voucher field for quarter the payment was not made.
- The adjustment field Increase/Decrease calculated estimates by was added to the ES screen - this field allows you to increase or decrease the calculated amount on which the four estimated tax payments are based.
Note: If the automatic feature is not turned off, and estimates are generated in view, those calculated estimate amounts will be updated to the next year and flagged for review. See "Amounts Updating to ES Screen" in Related Links below for more information.
Where can I enter estimated tax payments in Drake Software?
There are several ways to enter estimated tax amounts, or payments.
- ES screen - (preferred method) enter any overpayment and then by quarter any estimated payments made. If the dates the payments were made differ from the standard dates, enter them here also. Notice that the date fields are override fields and will override the standard dates.
- Screen 5 - use this screen to directly enter the amount of estimated taxes paid. The program assumes that payments were made in four equal amounts on the standard due dates. Notice that this is an adjustment field; amounts entered here combine with amounts entered on either the ES or 2210 screen.
- 2210 screen - enter payments made in the upper right quadrant of the screen. Any quarterly payment entered here overrides an ES screen entry for that quarter.
What codes are available for use in creating estimated tax vouchers?
||no vouchers generated (in Drake14 and earlier software only).
||vouchers generated with no dollar amounts (note: some states will not allow vouchers without amounts to print due to 2D bar coding requirements).
||vouchers generated with payments rounded to the nearest $1.
|vouchers generated with payments rounded to the nearest $5.
|vouchers generated with payments rounded to the nearest $10.
||vouchers generated with payments rounded to the nearest $25.
||vouchers generated with payments rounded to the nearest $100.
||Prevents vouchers from being printed (starting in Drake15, which produces vouchers automatically when they are required).
Why is my voucher printing without any text at the bottom?
You may not have the necessary fonts installed on your computer. To install the needed fonts, go to Tools > Install Fonts and select Install Windows Fonts. You may need to restart your computer after installing the missing fonts. After installing the fonts, be sure to re-calculate the return.