How do I clear EF Message 5331 on this individual return?
1040 EF Message 5331:
ALTERNATIVE E-SIGNATURE MISSING: You are not set up to sign electronic returns using the 8879 or Alternative E-Signature.
To set up the PIN Signature:
1. From the menu bar of the Home window, go to Setup > Preparer(s).
2. Double-click a preparer to activate the "Preparer Setup" window.
3. In the "Return Signature Options" box:
a) Enter a five-digit PIN. This PIN will be used on all tax returns the preparer opts to use the PIN Signature or Alternative E-signature. (Remember this number or save to a secure place.)
b) Choose the alternative e-signature option the preparer will participate in - the "8879 PIN Signature" and/or "Alternative Electronic Signature."
If you are not authorized to access Setup > Preparer(s), contact your office administrator.
EF Message 5331 occurs if the Preparer # field on screen 1 identifies a preparer who is not set up with a PIN for e-filing. The message may not appear until you attempt to sign the PIN screen. The problem occurs because either screen 1 does not point to the intended preparer, but rather someone else who is missing a PIN or, the preparer is correct but lacks a PIN setup.
Note: If the Preparer # field is blank, the return will use preparer #1 by default.
To fix the problem, choose one of the following options:
- Open screen 1 and use the drop list to set the Preparer # field to a preparer who is set up with a PIN (you can check which preparers have PINs in the steps below).
- Open screen 1 and note the number displayed in the Preparer # field. In the steps that follow, you may have to be logged in with full security or as admin. See your system administrator if you cannot proceed.
- Close the return and go to Setup > Preparer(s). Note the preparer numbers listed in the left-hand Number column.
- Select the preparer whose number was shown on screen 1 by clicking the entry.
- Open the entry by clicking the Edit Preparer button.
- Under Return Signature Options, confirm or enter a 5-digit number in the PIN Signature box and a check in the box 8879 PIN Signature. (Checking Alternative Electronic Signature is not necessary to e-file.)
- Click Save and Exit setup.
- Go back into the return and view.
- The message should be cleared.