Can I customize the folders in Drake Documents?
You can customize the file structure Drake uses to maintain client folders in Drake Documents (previously Drake Document Manger or DDM).
In both instances of Drake Documents (Working Cabinet or Archive Cabinet), you can
- Add new folders to the default file structure that Drake sets up for each client. The new folders are inserted in a client's Drake Documents folder when you first open the client return in Drake Tax after customizing your setup. Alternatively, during the customization process, you can select the option to insert the new folders into all existing client files within Drake Documents at once.
- Remove customized folders so they will no longer be inserted in Drake Documents when you open client returns. New, customized folders that have already been inserted into Drake Documents will remain there.
You cannot remove -
- Folders that are part of the default file structure.
- All of the new, customized folders that you have previously added to a client's Drake Documents folder at once. New folders may be removed by manually deleting all files in the new folder and then deleting the new folder -- you must do this for each client from which you want to remove the new folder.
If you customize the file structure, determine the type of file structure you want to use before you begin storing items in Drake Documents. If you change file structure after you begin storing documents, you will have to move items individually into the new desired location. You cannot move any folder that contains documents.
To customize the file structure from Drake Tax, go to Setup > Printing > Drake Documents.
A file adjustment here applies to the Drake Documents cabinet selected to be used, either the Working Cabinet or the Archive Cabinet. If you are using the Working Cabinet in Drake Tax (the default), you will see this screen:
If you are using the Archive Cabinet in Drake Tax, you will see this screen:
(The Archive Cabinet may also be customized by opening Drake Documents, and going to Setup > Custom Folders.)
You will notice that the "Tax > Tax Year" default file levels are not displayed in the Working Cabinet file structure because this cabinet contains only items from the single tax year for Drake Tax.
To add a new folder that will be inserted in a client's Drake Documents folder when you next open the client's return:
- In the window of the Working Cabinet or Archive Cabinet section of the screen, select the folder in which you want the new folder to be added. The new folder will be inserted one level below the selected folder.
- Click Add.
- Enter a custom folder name.
- Click OK. The folder appears in the screen window.
- To change the name of the new folder, select the folder and click Edit.
- To delete the new folder, select the folder and click Remove.
- Click Save, and then click OK.
To insert the new folder you added above in all existing client Drake Documents folders, on the appropriate screen above, mark the Apply this layout... check box and click Save. Be aware that this step adds the new folder to all existing Drake Documents folders in a batch, and that those folders can be removed only individually from within Drake Documents. Do not do this until you are satisfied with both the name and location of the new folder in the file structure.
To delete the new folder, select the folder and click Remove. This eliminates the new folder from the folders set up when a new client is opened in Drake Tax, but not from existing Drake Documents client files.