Can you e-file a 9465 with a 1040, after you have filed the 1040, or request an installment agreement online through the IRS website? What states have an installment agreement request form in Drake Tax?
- To e-file with the 1040, you should check the 1040 box on the PIN and EF screens to prevent error 5600.
- EF message 5600 alone does not prevent e-filing of the 1040 and 9465 (combined transmission). See option 1 for details.
- Note: If you are trying to transmit a stand-alone state return, you will have to delete Form 9465 in order to clear EF Message 5600. Make sure you print a copy before deleting screen 9465.
- To e-file after the 1040 has been e-filed and accepted, you have to provide prior year info on the PIN screen, and indicate on both the PIN and EF screens that “only” the 9465 is to be e-filed. See option 2 below for details. If you do not, you may get reject codes 10, 694, and 679.
- An IRS Online Payment Agreement (OPA) can be requested online at the IRS website Apply for an Online Payment Agreement for Individuals and Businesses. See option 3 below for details.
Note: Form 9465 can only be e-filed through the current year. If requesting an installment agreement for a prior year, use step 3 below instead.
Option 1: e-File Form 9465 with Form 1040
- Complete the 1040 and the 9465 screen.
- Fill out the PIN screen as you would for transmitting the 1040. In the Select Form section, check the 1040 (default) box. Do not complete 9465 Prior year AGI or 9465 Prior year PIN information, or the return will be rejected with error 0694 and 0010.
- On the EF screen, check the 1040 (Includes 9465 if present) box. This indicates that both the 1040 and 9465 will be transmitted.
- If you do not select anything on the EF screen, the program will default to sending both the 1040 and 9465 together. ETD_MSG 5600 will be produced indicating this:
- Ensure that both the 1040 and 9465 have green check marks under EF Status when you Calculate the return.
- If there are no other message pages, only the 1040 appears when the return is selected for e-file, but the 9465 is sent with the 1040 regardless.
EF Message 6075 - Payments
Message 6075 states:
If IRS Payment Record is present in the return, then Form 9465, line 8, 'PaymentAMT,' must be equal to 'PaymentAmount' in IRS Payment Record.
This message displays when an amount is entered on screen 9465, line 8 for amount paid with this request, and the PMT screen has been completed. Since the PMT screen pulls the full amount due from Form 1040, but a lesser amount is indicated on Form 9465, there is a mismatch. To clear this message, go to screen PMT, and enter the amount from Form 9465, line 8 as Federal payment amount. This allows the 1040 and 9465 to be filed together and only the 9465, line 8 payment amount to be drafted.
Note: A payment can only be made electronically when filing the Form 9465 with the 1040. If filing the Form 9465 by itself with the PMT screen filled out, red message 5615 will produce stating to delete the PMT screen before proceeding.
Option 2: e-File Form 9465 after e-filing Form 1040
- Complete the 9465 screen.
- On the PIN screen
- Complete the two entries that are necessary to authenticate the 9465 (shown below): prior year AGI and prior year PIN.
- In the Select Form section, check the 9465 box.
- On the EF screen, check the 9465 only box. Do not check the 1040 box.
- When you Calculate the return, only form 9465 will show a green check under EF Status.
- Select the return for e-filing (this time the 9465 is available, not the 1040).
Note: A payment can only be made electronically when filing the Form 9465 with the 1040. If filing the Form 9465 by itself, ensure that the PMT screen has been deleted (CTRL + D) to avoid red message 5615.
Option 3: Request the installment agreement online (OPA application):
- Go to the IRS website Apply for an Online Payment Agreement for Individuals and Businesses.
- This website is also linked on screen 9465 in Drake Tax.
- An OPA application eliminates the need to file Form 9465.
- The IRS response is immediate in most cases, so the delay associated with filing Form 9465 is eliminated.
- An OPA application can be submitted by:
- An individual taxpayer who owes $50,000 or less in combined tax, penalties and interest, and has filed all required returns.
- A business that owes $25,000 or less in combined tax, penalties and interest for the current year or last year's liabilities, and has filed all required returns.
- Note that Form 9465 can be used for a business only if it owes employment taxes related to a sole proprietor business that is no longer in operation. See the Instructions for Form 9465. Drake does not support Form 9465 under those conditions, but such a taxpayer is not disqualified for an OPA application.
Confirming transmission of Form 9465:
The 9465 appears on the EF Status page and EF return selector only when you are sending the 9465 by itself.
If you send the 9465 with the 1040, the 9465 does not appear separately on the EF Status page (in view) or the EF Return Selector. The 9465 is the only IRS form that can go with the 1040, or by itself.
The EF Status page is produced only if Print EF status page is selected at Setup > Options > EF tab.
State Installment Agreements
Some states have installment agreement request forms. The following state forms are currently available in Drake Tax. Most are not supported for e-filing, but a form is produced in view. Be sure to review all state guidelines for details on making the request.
Other states may have fillable forms available from that state's DOR website.
||CA > Other tab > 3567 screen
||KY > Other tab > IAR screen
||LA > Other tab > 1902 screen
||MS > Other tab > IA screen
||NC > Other tab > 1033 screen
||SC > Other tab > 102 screen
||UT > Other tab > 804 screen
||WV > Other tab > CD5 screen