CWU: How do I file an extension for a W2 , W-2G, 1098, 1099 or other information return?
To request an extension, complete and file Form 8809, Application for Extension of Time To File Information Returns. Form 8809 is not able to be produced in CWU.
Extensions on form 8809 may be requested:
- Online (preferred)
- Complete the fill-in Form 8809 through the IRS FIRE system.
- After logging in, select “Extension of Time Request” from the Main Menu Options.
- Acknowledgements are automatically displayed online if the request is made by the due date of the return.
- On paper Form 8809
See the Form 8809 Instructions for more information, other filing options, or to access a fillable PDF of the form.
Alternatively, for a 1099 series return extension only, complete the following steps:
- Go to E-Filing > 1099/1098 E-Filing > Create Extension File.
- Enter the Transmitter Control Code. This is a five-character alphanumeric Transmitter Control Code (TCC) assigned by the IRS/ECC-MTB. A Transmitter Control Code must be obtained to file data with this program. Submit Form 4419 to the IRS to obtain a TCC.
- Complete the Payer Information section:
- TIN — Enter a nine-digit Taxpayer Identification Number assigned to the taxpayer. A number that is all zeros, ones, twos, etc., results in an invalid TIN.
- Name — Enter the name of the payer whose TIN has been entered. If additional room is need for the name, use the Name-Cont field.
- 1099-MISC box 7 NEC indicator — Select this box if the 1099-MISC has an amount in Box 7, Non Employee Compensation.
- Foreign Entity Indicator — Select this box if the client is a foreign entity.
- Company Address — Enter the address of the payer. The street address should include number, street, apartment or suite number, or PO box if mail is not delivered to a street address.
- Company City — Enter the city, town, or post office of the payer.
- Company State — Enter the two-character state code.
- Company Zip — Enter the nine-digit ZIP code assigned by the U.S. Postal Service. If only the first five digits are known, then use the five-digit ZIP code.
- Click Save Record.
- Exit the Extension of Time Request window.
- Go to E-Filing > 1099/1098 E-filing > Transmit Extension File/View Results to open the Transmit 1099 dialog box.
- Click Open Web Site.
- Finish the upload through the IRS FIRE website.
For a video overview of the extension e-filing process in CWU, see CWU e-Filing W-2s and 1099s.