How do I enter a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) in the Drake Software?
Open the 1099 screen. Enter a QCD by selecting the Special Tax Treatments link at the top of the screen and choosing Box 2 100% QCD up to $100,000 or entering an amount under Box 2 partial QCD up to $100,000.
- The limit per person is $100,000.
- If the 1099-R is entered as an IRA and Box 2 100% QCD up to $100,000 is marked, only amounts in excess of the $100,000 will flow to line 4b (line 15b or 16b in Drake17 and prior) of the 1040
- In Drake17 and prior, if the contribution amount is not printing on line 15a of Form 1040, or the literal QCD is not printing, return to data entry and review the 1099 screen to be sure the IRA box is checked.
- A Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) is generally a nontaxable distribution made directly from an IRA by the trustee.
- Per Pub 590 instructions, you cannot claim a charitable contribution deduction for any QCD not included in your income.