How do I register my EFIN with Drake, register an additional EFIN, or replace a previously registered EFIN?
Before you can begin to e-file from Drake Tax Software, you must register a valid EFIN (Electronic Filing Identification Number) with Drake that you intend to use. To register your EFIN with Drake, or to change your existing EFIN registration, you must provide Drake with a copy of your e-File Application Summary from the IRS e-Services website.
How do I get a copy of my e-File Application Summary to send to Drake?
- Sign in to your IRS Services account by going to www.irs.gov
- Click "Tax Pros" at the top right of the screen.
- Click the "Access E-Services" button under e-Services.
- Scroll to e-Services Applications and click "E-file Provider Services."
- Under E-file Application, click the "Access e-File Application" button.
- Enter your Username and click “Login.”
- Verify Your Site Image and Site Phrase, then enter your Password and click “Submit.”
- Enter the security code that is sent to your mobile device and click “Continue.”
- Review the Online Security Information, and click “Continue.”
- Select your organization from the choices given, and click “Submit.”
- Read and accept the "Terms of Service."
- You will land on the External Services Authorization Management page. Under All Applications, click the blue eye underneath “View/Edit” for the Application you wish to view.
- Under the EFIN section (near the bottom), verify the EFIN shows as “Active.”
- Near the top right of the document, under Application Status, click “Print” to print a hard copy or save as PDF. We will need both pages.
How do I register my EFIN with Drake?
Submit a copy of your IRS e-file Application Summary showing a Provider Option Status of "Active" by uploading your document through the Support website. Steps are listed below.
- Log in to the Support website. Click Account > Manage EFINs on the left side of the page.
- On the Manage EFINs page, complete the following steps:
- Enter the EFIN you want to register with Drake Software.
- For multi-sites, you must also choose the office or sub-office that will be transmitting returns with that EFIN.
- Click Select File and choose your supporting PDF document for that EFIN.
- Click Submit to upload the document to Drake Software for validation.
To confirm your upload and check the status of your EFIN with Drake Software, review the list of registered EFINs at the bottom of the page (under EFINs Registered with Drake Software). Please allow four hours for EFIN processing to be completed.
The following are the codes you may see under the Status column:
Who can I call if I need help?
- Drake Compliance Department at (866) 273-9032.
- IRS e-Services Helpline at (866) 255-0654.
- IRS Secure Access Helpline at (888) 841-4648.
How will I know if my EFIN is registered?
- Once your document has been verified, you will receive an email from Drake notifying you that it has been registered. Please allow 4 hours for processing.
How often do I need to register my EFIN?
- This is a one-time verification process. You do not need to re-send your EFIN document unless your EFIN number has changed.
Can I have more than one EFIN on my account?
- Yes, but you must include instructions that you want to add a second EFIN as a sub-EFIN.
How do I replace my EFIN with a new number?
NOTE: If you change your EFIN with Drake, be sure to also update it in your software.
- Click Setup, then Electronic Filing & Account Information (ERO).
- Update the EFIN, then click OK.
- .Click Setup, then Firm(s)
- Update the EFIN.
- Click Confirm.
- Once the software states that you are confirmed to e-File, click the Save button on the top left-hand side of the software screen.