How can I resize and change my logo from a .jpg to a .bmp to use with letterhead on the bill and letter?
Drake Software only allows a .bmp file for the letterhead logo, so if the image you want to use as your logo is in another file format, you must change it.
You can convert a common .jpg file to a monochrome .bmp file by following these steps. If you are using a color logo, see "Color Logos" in Related Links below. A color JPG image can be converted to a color bitmap by saving it in the steps below as a color bitmap.
- Open Microsoft Paint by selecting Start > Programs > Accessories > Paint. Click File > Open. Find and select your logo then click Open.
- Click File > Save As. Select the location \DRAKEYY\CF\ to save the logo. (In Windows 7, select the left tab at the top and click Save As.)
- In the Save as type box, select Monochrome Bitmap (*.bmp; *.dib).
- Click Save. If you receive a warning that you may lose color information, click Yes to confirm that you want to continue.
In Drake, go to Setup > Letters. On the Client Communications Editor, click Setup and select Page Layout. Click the Browse button and browse to the saved logo to set the path for the software to find it. Click OK to save the setting. See "Requirements for a Letterhead Logo Image" in Related Links below for more information.
How to Resize A .BMP or .JPG Image
It may be necessary to resize a .bmp or .jpg image for use in firm letterheads and other purposes in Drake. You can best do this in Microsoft Paint.
First save a copy of the original image to a location on your computer that you can easily find. Keep the original unchanged, in case you need to start over.
- Check the size of the original image before you start. Right click on the image file and select Properties from the drop list, and then click the Details tab, where the image dimensions in pixels should be listed. You also may be able to read the dimensions from the tooltip that appears if you point to the image file icon in Windows Explorer.
- Be aware that resizing usually degrades the image. Multiple resizing of the same image may render it unusable.
- Although you can resize an image in Microsoft Office Picture Manager (Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer in Office 2003), you may not be able to use the image for Drake letterhead with some monochrome printers because the image is not saved as a monochrome bitmap.
To resize an image using Paint:
To open the image in Paint, right click on the image file in Windows Explorer. From the drop list select Open With, then select Paint. In Paint, click Resize. Change the Horizontal and Vertical percentage to resize the image. Save the file to keep changes. For letterhead logos, unless you are printing color images, save it as a monochrome bitmap with the extension .bmp. For color letterhead logos, see "Requirements for a Letterhead Logo Image" in Related Links below.