I am getting "Authentication Failed" or "Invalid EFIN or Drake Password" when trying to transmit, get updates, or install states. How can I fix this?
- Ensure that the computer is connected to the Internet. Preferably do this by opening a web page the computer has never been to before, like www.dnet.net, www.1040.com, www.weather.com, etc.
- Go to the Setup > ERO screen:
- Verify the correct EFIN is entered in the EFIN field. The EFIN also must match the EFIN registered to your account at Drake. If you were issued a temporary EFIN by Drake when you purchased the software, it was registered on the Drake servers. If you are now transmitting with your IRS EFIN and have not notified Drake of the change, the temporary EFIN is still being used by the Drake servers to try to authenticate your connection. See Related Links below.
- Verify the correct Account Number is entered in the Account Number field.
- Remove the password that has been entered in Setup > ERO & Account Information. Re-enter the case-sensitive password.
- The e-File Password may be retrieved by going to Drake Software Support > My Account > My Serial Numbers.
- Note that the password is case sensitive and does not contain any spaces.
- If copying and pasting from your My Account page, make sure that you do not copy any blank spaces.
- Make sure that you are entering the correct e-file password for the year that you are working. They are not interchangeable.
- e-File Password is the correct password for Drake16-Drake18.
- 2012-2015 e-File Password is for use in Drake12-Drake15.
- Check for updates to the program by going to Tools > Update Manager > Manual Updates: Get Updates.
- Check for firewall programs on the computer (i.e. Norton Internet Security, McAfee Security Center, Zone Alarm Security Center). Do not disable. Instead, configure to allow Drake to transmit through them.
For information on other connection issues and configuring a firewall, see Related Links below.
Invalid EFIN or Drake Password Message
Verify the EFIN and password entered in Setup > ERO & Account Information. Make any necessary changes and click OK. The password is case sensitive. In Drake15 and prior, your Drake Password is entered. Starting in Drake16, the new e-File Password must be entered. Both of these passwords may be retrieved by going to Drake Software Support > My Account > My Serial Numbers. Note that the password is case sensitive and does not contain any spaces. If copying and pasting from your My Account page, make sure that you do not copy any blank spaces.
Note: The error may say "Invalid EFIN or BBS password" instead. Re-enter the correct password under Setup > ERO & Account Information.
If this does not correct the problem, contact Drake Support at 828.524.8020 to verify that your EFIN has been verified and that your account is set up to e-file and retrieve updates. See Related Links for details on registering your EFIN with Drake.