How do I e-file an extension for a partnership return?
When must the 7004 be filed?
A 1065 extension must be filed by midnight local time on the normal due date of the return. In the case of a 1065, this is by the 15th day of the 3rd month after the end of the tax year for the return. For a calendar year filer, the deadline is March 15. We recommend that you e-file at least several hours before the deadline to ensure a timely filing. For more information, see Related Links below, and Publication 4163.
How long is the extension?
The 7004 for a 1065 is for a 6 month extension. If a calendar year return, a 1065 on a timely filed extension is due on September 15.
How to produce and e-file a 7004:
- Open the return.
- Enter demographic information on screen 1, at least the name, address, city, state, zip and EIN.
- Open the 7004 screen (Other Forms tab > 7004 Extension)
- Check the box Generate an Extension.
- Make the drop list selection 09 Form 1065 in the line 1a box.
- Enter any other needed information.
- Open the EF Selections screen
- Under Federal E-file Override, check the box Federal 7004 only.
- Under State E-file Override, check Do NOT send any states if you do not wish to send a state return. If you are also e-filing a separate state extension, select the state EXT option from one of the drop lists.
- View the return and clear any ETD_MSG page messages. View the 1065EF page and confirm that the 7004 will be transmitted.
- Exit the return. Open the EF Return Selector (EF > Select Returns for EF). Confirm that the 7004 alone (unless you are also e-filing a state extension) is listed for the return in the EF Documents column of the EF Return Selector. If so, proceed through the usual steps to select and transmit.
If you intend to paper file the extension, see the table "Where To File" on page 4 of the instructions for Form 7004.
- Drake sends extensions to the IRS as soon as they are transmitted and received.
- An extension of time to file does not extend the time to pay taxes due.
- An additional extension form can be e-filed by checking the box "Send additional extension form..." on the 7004 screen. Important: this should only be done if you need to file both an extension for 1065 (code 09) and an extension for 8804 (code 31).
Note: If you are electronically filing a state extension, the PIN screen may need to be completed to allow electronic filing of the state extension (where supported), even if the PIN screen is not required for the federal extension.