Knowledge Base

12049: 1040 - 4868 Extension Frequently Asked Questions

Deadlines + Extensions

Choose from the following FAQs about individual extensions:


I e-filed a 1040 return before the deadline and it was rejected - I am working on the fix now, and the deadline is approaching. Do I have to file an extension?

  • If you e-filed before the deadline and the return is rejected, you have a perfection period of 5 days after the deadline in which to correct and re-file the return. If there is a chance you may not be able to fix and file the return within the time provided, you should file an extension or paper file the return before the deadline passes. For more information, see Related Links below.

Do I have to clear all of the red messages before I can e-file an extension?

  • No - you need to clear only the errors on the ETD_MSG page when filing for a 1040 extension.

I e-filed the extension already - now how do I e-file the actual return - it keeps showing the 4868 is being sent again.

  • Check the entries made on the EF (EF Selection) screen. 1040 should be marked when you are trying to send the regular return. Also check the box Extension was previously filed; ready to file tax return on the EXT screen. 

How can I create a voucher for the client to pay the federal balance due with the extension?

  • On the EXT (4868) screen there is a Produce 1040 - V for extension option as well as a field to enter the Amount to print on 1040-V

I previously filed the extension and now I am e-filing the 1040, but the letter reflects the 4868 instead of the 1040.

  • On the EXT (4868) screen select Extension was previously filed; ready to file tax return.

What is the difference between the 4868 and the 2350? Which should I use?

  • Both forms extend the filing date for Form 1040 and 1040NR. If you qualify to file the 2350, use that form; otherwise, file the 4868. Screen EXT is used to complete either form. 
  • Use Form 4868 to apply for 6 months more to file (until October 15). 4 months more to file if you were allowed an additional two months, until June 15, to file because you were “out of the country” (as defined in the instructions with Form 4868) on April 15 (this extension also takes you to October 15).
  • Use Form 2350 only if you expect to qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion and/or the foreign housing exclusion or deduction and meet other qualifications stated in the 2350 instructions. The length of the extension will depend on the details of the return.

Related Links

Also In This Category

Article has been viewed 10K times.
Last Modified: 9 Months Ago