Go to File > New Client to open the Client Setup screen.
- On the Contact Information tab
- Enter a code in the Client Code field (Client Code must be entered). Client Codes are up to eight alpha/numeric characters (0 - 9, A - Z, and a - z) including underscores ( _ ). Once the client information has been saved, the Client Code cannot be changed. Client codes cannot be reused for another client.
- Password is optional and can be entered or edited at a later date. If you enter a password, remember that it is case sensitive. If you lose the password to a client file, call CWU Support for assistance - (828) 349-5547. For security purposes, you will be asked to provide a written request confirming your identity and account information.
- All other information can be entered or edited at a later date, but must be completed before electronic filing.
- Click the Help button on the screen and review the information needed to complete each tab. Also, review the Client Setup Screen Tab Notes below for specific tabs.
- Complete all tabs of the Client Setup screen and then click Save.
Additional information is provided below for completing some of the tabs, to supplement software Help.
Document Manager Options
The Drake Document Manager is installed with Drake tax software. If you have never installed the tax software, the Document Manager is not available. When you select the Document Manager Location, its path will be displayed in the Selected Document Manager Location window. You must select the location path, even if there is only one displayed in the window, so that the path appears in red font below the window. The path must be displayed in red font when you save the screen to enable the Document Manager with CWU.
For more information about setting up the Document Manager, see Related Links below.
Deposit Frequency. Your selection determines whether a Schedule B is generated when you prepare Form 941. Semi-Weekly produces a Schedule B. Monthly does not produce Schedule B, but fills Line 14 of both Form 941 and 941-SS. Select the appropriate deposit frequency based on IRS instructions for Form 941.
Start of Year Date. Make sure you enter the first day of the client's business year. Fiscal or calendar years are allowed. If the client's fiscal year begins April 1, the start-of-year date would be 04/01/2015, not 01/01/2015.
Live Portals Payroll and ATF Portals Payroll should be left blank unless this client is a portals payroll client. Click Help and see "Appendix G - Portals" for more information.
Standard W2s prints two forms per page, one above the other. This selection allows you to print all copies of the W-2 and the W-3 on plain paper with a laser printer.
Use 4-Up W2s and Use 4-Dn W2s print four forms per page on the pre-printed Nelco forms BW24UP and BW24DWN. On plain paper, only the data prints.
W-3 Kind of Payer and W-3 Kind of Employer are required entries.
Payables Setup is required if you are using the bookkeeping feature and also will be using Accounts Payable or the Check Writer.
EF Setup is required to e-file 941 and 940 forms. See “e-Filing Forms 94x - Setup (CWU)” in Related Links below.
94X Online Payment allows Client Write-Up to include the bank account information in an e-filed 94X tax return so the IRS will debit the bank account for the balance due amount.
Note: There is not a limit to the number of clients that you can setup inside of Client Write Up.
For a video overview of Client Setup in CWU, see CWU Client Setup.