Can I export K1s from a 1065, 1120-S or 1041 to another return?
Yes. This feature saves a substantial amount of data entry in a partner, shareholder, or beneficiary return.
- In Drake15 and prior, a K-1 cannot be exported to a 1041, 1065, or 1120-S. Beginning in Drake16, you can export from business returns to other return types, as applicable.
- Note that an s-corp can only have shareholders that are individuals or trusts, thus an 1120-S can only export a K1 to a 1040 or 1041 return.
- Where the target of the export is an SSN that is the secondary taxpayer in a joint return and also the primary taxpayer in a single return, the export may go to the joint return.
- If the software confirms that the export was successful, but you don’t see it in a 1040 where you expect it, check for a secondary taxpayer in a joint return that duplicates the single taxpayer’s SSN.
- In this event, the spouse’s SSN in the joint return must be changed or removed for the K-1 to go to the individual return.
- You can use Report Manager to search for a spouse’s SSN (Spouse ID).
- If the export is not successful, or the program closes without exporting the K-1, ensure that Drake Tax is up to date. If the problem persists, contact Drake Software Support at 828.524.8020 for assistance and a possible repair installation of your software.
- The partner or shareholder basis worksheets do not export. You must enter basis information in the target return.
- When you export K-1 information, amounts for the state do not export. State K-1 information must be manually entered on the respective K-1 screen.
To export K1 data from a 1065, 1120S, or 1041 return, follow these instructions:
- Make sure K1 data is entered in the 1065, 1120S, or 1041 (source return). Also make sure you have created the partner, shareholder, or beneficiary file (target return) to which you intend to export.
- View the 1065, 1120S, or 1041, whichever applies.
- In View mode, click the K1 Export button on the toolbar.
- If there are partners, shareholders, or beneficiaries whose return does not exist in the software, or whose return exists, but is not an individual return (in Drake15 and prior), a list of SSNs that cannot be exported may appear. You can exit the export process and create any missing target returns, or click Next to proceed to a list of SSNs that can be exported.
- To export the selected SSNs, click Export:
- Look for a confirmation that the export was successful:
- Review the K1P, K1S, or K1F screen in the target return to ensure that the export is complete and accurate.
- Enter any basis information as needed.
If the K1 did not export successfully, or is missing data, you may need to:
- Manually check for updates in Drake Tax under Tools > Update Manager. The program must be up to date to allow optimal functionality.
- Delete the exported K1 screen in the target return. Open the K1P, K1F, or K1S screen and press CTRL+D.
- Re-calculate the source return (1065, 1120S, 1041).
- Repeat steps 1-8 above.
Basis Worksheet Does Not Export
Basis information for individual partners or shareholders should be entered in the 1040 package in Drake, using the Basis Worksheet links on the K1P or K1S screen. This information cannot be exported from the 1065 or 1120S package to a 1040 return. Such an import would override limitations and carryovers calculated in the 1040 program.
For a video demonstration of this process, see K1 Export.