CWU: How do I enter payroll benefits?
All benefits must first be entered for the employer, then for each employee as necessary. Once saved, a benefit cannot be deleted from the employer’s list.
There is no limit to the number of benefits that may be set up for the employer.
- From the CWU Home window, select Deductions & Benefits from the Employees menu. Select the Benefits option in the Type section at the top left of the window.
- Select the New button at the top right of the window. The top entry fields are activated.
- Enter the basic benefit information.
- Name: This is the name of the benefit (not the employee).
- Account: Press F2 to access the postable accounts list from the Chart of Accounts if the bookkeeping function is used.
- Benefit Calculation: Dollars/cents or Percent must always be selected. When Based on Hours Worked is selected, the benefit is calculated by multiplying the number in the Hours Worked field on the Live Payroll (or ATF Payroll) screen times the Amount. If Based on Hours Worked is not selected, the benefit is calculated by multiplying gross pay by the Amount.
- Amount: An amount of 1 or greater normally designates a dollar amount, unless overridden by the previous selections. A decimal value less than 1 (for example .25) normally designates a percent unless overridden by the previous selections. This amount can be edited on an individual employee basis by going to Employees > Employee Setup, and selecting the Benefits tab.
- Ceiling: Enter the maximum amount of this benefit that can be taken. When the employee reaches the ceiling amount for the year, CWU discontinues giving this benefit to that employee.
- W2 Box 12 Code: During W2 processing, this code indicates which letters to enter for the Box 12 code. (Select the Help button to the right of the window for W2 code details)
- Select the tax options that apply.
- Not taxed - not applied to Gross or Net Pay: The benefit is not taxed and does not transfer to the Journal if the bookkeeping function is used.
- Not taxed - not applied to Gross applied to Net Pay: The benefit is not taxed but the amount is added to Net pay.
- Taxed - applied to Gross and Net Pay: The benefit is taxed based on the check box selections (Federal, SS, Medicare, FUTA, State, Local, and SUTA) and the amount is added to Gross and Net pay.
- Taxed - not applied to Gross or Net Pay: The benefit is taxed but the benefit amount is not added to either the Gross or Net pay, and does not transfer to the Journal if bookkeeping function is used.
- Taxed – applied to Gross not to Net Pay: The benefit will taxed be based on the selections marked. By default all boxes are selected under Check if Benefit is Subject to. Edit as applicable for the benefit before selecting Save.
- 941 Box 2: Select this box to include the total paid by the employer for this benefit on Form 941 Box 2. This option is available only if the benefit is not taxed, and is checked by default.
- 940 Box 3: Select this box to include the total paid by the employer for this benefit on Form 940 Box 3 (Total payments to all employees). This option is available only if the benefit is not taxed, and is checked by default.
- W2 Box 1, 10, 14 – Select any that apply.
- Select Save after entering each benefit.
- Select Employee Setup from the Employees menu and double-click on the employee for whom you need to assign the benefit. Open the Benefits tab to display the list of benefits set up for the employer. A maximum of 10 benefits may be assigned to each employee.
- Double-click on a benefit to assign it to this employee. The benefit displays in the edit line. Press F3 to auto-fill the default amount entered in the "Employer" section above. Edit the Amount, Priority, and Ceiling if necessary.
- Amount - Enter the amount of the deduction for this employee. Default settings may be edited at this time.
- Ceiling - Enter the maximum amount of this benefit that can be taken by this employee. When the employee reaches the ceiling amount for the year, CWU discontinues giving this benefit to the employee.
- Repeat Step 2 for each benefit for a particular employee. Select Save when finished. The active benefits for an employee will have an X in the first column.
- To delete a benefit from an employee’s list, double-click on it and remove the X from the first column. Select OK then Save.
Note: To correct a benefit that was entered incorrectly, First, go to Employee > Deductions & Benefits. Select the Benefit to be edited. Make the corrections and click Save. Next, go to Employee Setup and select the employee. Choose the Benefits tab. Double left-click on the Benefit so it moves to the line above the grid. Press the F3 key on the keyboard. Verify that the information is correct as you tab to the OK button. Click OK and then Save.
For a video overview of Employee Payroll in CWU, including deductions and benefits setup, see CWU Employee Payroll.