This credit is available to eligible contractors for each qualified energy efficient home sold or leased to another person during the tax year for use as a residence.
The credit is based on the energy saving requirements of the home and is part of the general business credit reported on Form 3800. Screen 8908 is available on the Credits tab for generating a current year credit. If the requirements are met, Form 8908 generates in view mode and the allowable credit is figured on Form 3800. If any amount of credit is disallowed, Wks 3800 will detail the credit allowed, and any amount that will carryover to next year.
Energy Efficient Home Credit carryforward amounts from a prior year may be entered on the GBC screen by selecting 8908 - Form 8908, Energy Efficient Home Credit in the Description of Credit drop list.
This credit was extended to apply to homes sold/leased in 2015 and 2016 (see the Instructions for Form 8908).
Energy Saving Requirements
50% Energy Efficient Standard
- The allowable credit is $2,000.
- Dwelling unit certified to have an annual level of heating/cooling energy consumption at least 50% below the annual level of heating/cooling energy consumption of a comparable dwelling unit.
- Dwelling unit has building envelope component improvements that account for at least 1/5 of the 50% reduction in energy consumption.
30% Energy Efficient Standard
- The allowable credit is $1,000.
- Manufactured home that does not meet the 50% energy saving requirement but is certified to have an annual level of heating/cooling energy consumption at least 30% below the annual level of heating and cooling energy consumption of a comparable dwelling unit.
- Home meets FMHCSS requirements.
- Home has building envelope component improvements that account for at least 1/3 of the 30% reduction in energy consumption or meets the current requirements established under the Energy Star Labeled Homes program.