CWU: How do I export data from QuickBooks to CWU?
This information is available:
- At Help > Contents. On the Index tab, select QuickBooks Import.
- In Tools > Additional Tools > Importing from QuickBooks in the CWU User's Manual, starting on page 308.
Import client, employee, vendor, customer, and Chart of Accounts information (including account balances) from Intuit’s QuickBooks® software. There are three parts to this process detailed below.
Note: CWU needs to have the Quickbooks software installed on the same computer as CWU to facilitate the conversion.
- All transactions from the QuickBooks transaction register must be posted to the Chart of Accounts prior to exporting information from QuickBooks.
- If you will be converting the Chart of Accounts, it is strongly recommended that you print a Trial Balance report in QuickBooks prior to beginning this process.
Part I. Complete the following steps in QuickBooks:
- Select the company to be imported into CWU.
- Go to Edit > Preferences > Accounting > Company Preferences and verify that Use > Account > Numbers is selected. In the Chart of Accounts, verify the accounts exist.
- Make sure all transactions in the General Journal are posted to the Chart of Accounts.
- Close the Chart of Accounts.
- Go to File > Utilities > Accounting > Export > Lists to IIF Files.
- On the Export window, select all check boxes.
Figure 1: QuickBooks Export Selection Window
- Click OK.
- Save EXPORT.IIF in d:\CWU20YY\QB CONVERSION FILES (substitute the correct drive letter for the drive where Client Write-Up is installed if not "d").
You can convert only one QuickBooks client at a time to Client Write-Up. Complete the entire conversion process for a client before returning to QuickBooks and creating another client export file.
Part II. Complete the following steps in Client Write-Up:
- Go to File > Import QuickBooks® or PeachTree® Files. The QuickBooks or PeachTree File Conversion screen displays.
Figure 2: QuickBooks File Conversion
- Select Convert QuickBooks.
- Enter information in the following fields:
- Client Code - Enter a client code. If the client code exists in Client Write-Up, you can only convert information that does not exist in CWU. For instance, if there is an employee in CWU for the client code entered, the Convert Employees option is not available.
- If a client code is entered that does not already exist in CWU, you will be prompted to enter information about the client. A Client Code must be a unique code not currently used in CWU. Client codes are up to eight alpha/numeric characters (0 - 9, A - Z, and a - z) including underscores ( _ ).
- Select to convert employee, customer, Chart of Accounts, or vendor information or Select All Conversions to import all four. Information can only be converted once. Selections previously converted are unavailable for conversion.
- Bus. Type - From the drop list, select the same business type that was used in QuickBooks: sole proprietor (1040), partnership (1065), corporation (1120), or an S-corporation (1120S).
- Deposit Frequency - Used to determine whether a Schedule B is required to be filed with Form 941. Select Semi-Weekly to produce a Schedule B with Form 941. Select Monthly to fill in Line 17 of both Form 941 and 941SS.
- Start of Year Date - Set this date to the first day of the client's business year. For example, if the client's fiscal year begins April 1, the start-of-year date is 04/01/20YY. Fiscal or calendar years are allowed.
- Click Save. The conversion process begins.
Part III. Verify the information and complete the setup in CWU:
- Go to Setup > Client Information. Verify the information and complete the client setup.
- See Client Setup in the CWU User's Manual for more detail.
- Go to Bookkeeping > Chart of Accounts and verify that each account, its account type, and account balance is correct.
- See Editing an Account in the CWU User's Manual for detail on editing account information.
- The Chart of Accounts must have a zero balance before it can be saved.
- Go to Employees > Employee Setup. Verify the information and complete the setup of each employee.
- See Employee Payroll > Setting Up Employee Payroll in the CWU User's Manual for more detail.
- Go to Payables > Vendor Setup if using CWU’s Accounts Payable feature.
- Verify the information and complete the setup of each vendor. See Accounts Payable in the CWU User's Manual for more detail.
- Go to Receivables > Customer Setup if using CWU’s Accounts Receivable feature.
- Verify the information and complete the setup of each customer. See Accounts Receivable > Customer Setup in the CWU User's Manual for more detail.