CWU: What are the different formats for W2 and W3 printing, and how do I set them up?
NOTE: The only reports for IRS/SSA that need the red lined copies are the 1099/1098/W2G IRS Copy A and the 1096.
- 2-Up is the default W2 printing option (two different employees on a page, one above the other). By default, all W2s print 2-Up.
- A 4-Up or a 4-Dn option is available (four copies of the same employee on a page, either two rows of two or four rows of one) if you enable it.
- The W3 prints to a standard format that is independent of W2 printing selections.
- 2-Up. Standard SSA/IRS format. Drake prints the form and data for all copies.
- SSA – Copy A - two different W2s printed to a page.
- Copies. Two different W2s printed to a page, and same page repeated for additional copies.
- 4-Up and 4-Dn formats. Not available for SSA - Copy A, Copy 1 or Copy D. Drake only prints data on the form.
- 4-Up. Nonstandard, for distribution to employees.
- Prints four copies of one employee's W2 on the same page, as two rows of two W2s.
- Prints data only. You must print to Nelco form BW24UP.
- 4-Dn. Nonstandard, for distribution to employees.
- Prints four copies of one employee's W2 on the same page, as four rows of single w2s.
- Prints data only. You must use Nelco form BW24DN.
How to select the format
At Setup > Client Information on the W2/W3-1099/1098 Setup tab, of the last four options in the W-2 Setup Information area, you can select one. Standard W2s is the default that applies if you don't make a selection
- 2-Up setup (the standard format)
- At Setup > Client Information on the W2/W3-1099/1098 Setup tab, select Standard W2s, or W2s using 3D Barcode if desired.
- At Employees > Process W2s, you now have these printing options, all of which use the standard 2-Up format.
- 4-Up or 4-Dn setup (nonstandard setup, prints data only to Nelco forms)
- At Setup > Client Information on the W2/W3-1099/1098 Setup tab, select Use 4-Up W2s, or Use 4-Dn W2s to enable printing in that format.
- At Employees > Process W2s, you now have the printing option you enabled.
- 4UpW2s or 4DwnW2s. Prints data-only copies 2, B and C and a fourth (an additional Copy 2) in 4-Up or 4-Dn format to the appropriate Nelco form.
- SSA – Copy A, Copy – 1 and Copy – D are printed only in 2-Up format and can be printed form and data or data only. These copies cannot be printed 4-Up or 4-Dn.
Printing a single W2 or 1099-MISC using 2-up
When a single recipient’s W2 or 1099-MISC is printed (Print Single) in standard 2-up format, the bottom half of the page is not printed, regardless whether you print data and forms or data only. If you are printing more than one recipient’s forms, it is more efficient to Print All. Here’s how it works:
Employees > Process W2s or Contractors > Process 1099 Misc.
- When Print All is selected, the software prints all recipients’ W2 or 1099Misc forms. The 2-up format places one recipient’s form at the top of each page, and another recipient’s at the bottom (if there is more than one recipient to be printed). Full pages are printed.
- When Print Single is selected, the software prints a single recipient’s W2 or 1099 Misc form, and prints each copy of the form on a separate page, in the upper half of the page. The bottom half is blank. The 2-up format does not bring anything forward to fill the lower half of preceding pages.
On The Fly Forms > 1099s, 1098 and W2G on the Fly. Forms printed through this menu selection follow the same printing patterns. Print All prints two recipients per page, while Print Single prints only in the upper half of the page.
Note that some of the other 1099s and the 1098 will print three of the same form to a page, with the same result. Print All prints three recipients per page, while Print Single prints a single recipient in the upper-third of the page.
If you have data in the Address 2 line on Setup > Contact Information, it will not be printed if using the 4-up and 4-down forms.
Printing W2/W3 2 up Form and Data from CWU has been approved by the SSA.
When approved, the W2 Barcode will print only on the form and data printed from the software. It will not print on the red lined form provided by the IRS. Red lined forms for W2s and 1099s must come from the IRS or an office supply, if you choose to use them. Those forms are printed to specifications that you cannot duplicate using your printer and red ink.
See Related Links below for more information on ordering.