CWU: At Tools > Spreadsheet Imports, I cannot complete the import due to a Microsoft error 22, which indicates that the data cannot be extracted.
This error can occur when Excel 2010 or 2013 is used to import your data. It can be resolved by installing the Microsoft download described below.
- Excel 2007 or later is necessary to import a spreadsheet. You can check your version by starting Excel and clicking the File menu and the Help option. If you believe a pre-2007 version of Excel (or Office Suite) is installed on your PC, contact CWU Support before continuing.
- The files needed for spreadsheet import are not standard in the 2013 Excel installation, but Microsoft patched the 2010 version to remedy this problem.You may want to check for updates for your Excel or Office installation (the 2013 version had not been patched as of Sept. 9, 2013).
A download (Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable) is available from the Microsoft Download Center that eliminates this problem: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255
Before you begin, for each location where you intend to install, review the notes on the download page and consider the following:
- Networks - if you are running CWU in a networked installation, the 2010 Access Database Engine must be installed on each computer (workstation or server) where Tools > Spreadsheet Imports will be used.
- The 32-bit version must be installed (AccessDatabaseEngine.exe). If you select and install the 64-bit version, it will not work and you must uninstall it before installing the 32-bit version.
To download and run the installation file:
- At http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255, select English or another appropriate language and click Download.
- Select AccessDatabaseEngine.exe, which is the 32-bit version, and click Next.
- Follow your browser prompts to either run or save the file. If you save, select a location you can find so you can run it after it downloads. When you run it, respond to any security prompts needed to permit any blocked pop-ups and to authorize installation. When the Setup screen appears, click Next.
- Accept license terms and click Next.
- Accept the default installation location and click Install.
- When installation is completed, no further configuration is necessary to use the CWU spreadsheet import function.