How do I set up email in Drake Tax?
You can send email to Drake from return data entry without setting up an email account. To email other recipients from Drake Tax, you must set up a third-party email account.
Note: The 1040.com email account formerly supplied with the software is no longer available.
Using Your Default Email Program
Your installed email program will work in Drake Software View mode, Drake Documents and Drake Scheduler if it meets these conditions:
- It is MAPI-compliant (Messaging Application Program Interface).
- It is set as the default Windows email program, described below.
If your email program meets those conditions, to use it in
- Drake Software View mode - see "Using Email in Drake View or Print Mode" in Related Links below.
- Drake Documents - in either the Working or Archive Cabinet, select Setup > Options from the menu. On the Drake Documents - Options dialog box, select I use an email program on my computer and click Save to save the change.
- Drake Scheduler - select Setup on the Scheduler toolbar. On the Email tab of the Drake Scheduler - Setup dialog box, select I use an email program on my computer and click Save to save the change.
Designating your email program as the Windows default email program.
Usually, you can set an email program as the Windows default from within that email program. You also can set it from within your operating system as follows:
- Windows 7. Go to Start > Default Programs > Set your default programs (or Control Panel Home (for Windows 7 set to View By: Category) > Programs > Default Programs > Set your default programs). Select your email program from the list and click Set this program as default. See this Microsoft articles for details: Change which programs Windows uses by default.
- Windows 10. Go to Start> Settings>Apps> Default Apps> Email. Click on your current default email program and select the email you wish to make the default app.
Email Account Setup in Drake Tax
- You can set up third-party email accounts for three kinds of users - ADMIN, office and preparer.
- An ADMIN account - Log in as ADMIN. On the Home window, go to Help > Email > Setup > Accounts. Click Add Account, select the account type, click OK and complete setup on the Add Account dialog box. Click Test Settings to make sure the setup works. Click Save to save the setup.
- An Office account - Log in as ADMIN.
- On the Home window, go to Help > Email > Setup > ADMIN Options. Click Setup Office Email Account. Select the account type, click OK and complete setup on the Office Account dialog box. Click Test Settings to make sure the setup works. Click Save to save the setup.
- When you complete office account setup, turn the account on by selecting Use Office Email Account (Help > Email > Setup > Accounts).
- A Preparer account - Direct the preparer to log in and complete these steps. On the Home window, go to Help > Email > Setup > Accounts. On the Account Settings dialog box, click Add Account, select the account type, click OK and complete setup on the Add Account dialog box. Click Test Settings to make sure the setup works. Click Save to save the setup.
See "The Add Account Dialog Box" later for more information about email account setup.
A third-party email account set up in Drake17 can be selected for use in the Drake Document Manager Working or Archive Cabinet.
- You control who uses an Office email account or a Preparer email account. Log in as ADMIN and go to Help > Email > Setup > ADMIN Options.
- The three option boxes are general settings that apply to all preparers.
- No option selected - preparers can set up and use only their own individual email accounts.
- Allow Each Preparer to Use the “Office” Email Account - If office email is set up, preparers can use the office account and also can set up and use individual email accounts.
- Force Each Preparer to Use the “Office” Email Account - If office email is set up, preparers can use the office account but cannot set up individual email accounts.
- Only Allow Preparers to Send Messages/Files to Drake Software - Preparers cannot set up individual email accounts and cannot use the office account (if one is set up), but they can send emails and attached client files to Drake Support from within a return.
- To override the general settings for one or more individual preparers, click Override ADMIN Settings for Individual Preparers.
The Add Account Dialog Box
After you select an account type (an email provider) and click OK on the Account Type dialog box, the Add Account dialog box opens for preparer or ADMIN email, or the Office Account dialog box opens for office email. They are the same except for the dialog box name. The Add Account dialogue box is shown below.
Complete all fields. The Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server fields may already be completed, based on the email provider you selected.
- Account Information
- Name/Description - Enter a familiar name for the account, one that you will recognize.
- User Information
- Your Name - Enter the name you want your email recipients to see when they receive your email,
- Email Address - Enter the email address for the account you use (for example, MaxsTaxes@EmailProvider.com).
- Server Information
- Incoming Mail Server - available from your email provider.
- Outgoing Mail Server - available from your email provider.
- Login Information
- Username - the username you use to log in to your email account.
- Password - the password you use to log in to your email account. Note Drake cannot retrieve or reset this password. You must contact your email provider.
- Test Settings - after completing all the fields on the dialog box, click Test Settings.
- Drake recommends that you not save the settings for an email account unless it passes testing. Saving a non-functioning account can interfere with emailing a client file to Drake from a return.
Note: If you want to delete an email account from the program, you must first delete all emails that you have downloaded to the software. Under more settings, if you unchecked the box "leave a copy of messages on the server", you will be deleting the only copy of the email. If you left the box checked when setting up the email, verify the emails are on your web server prior to deleting the emails.
For a video tutorial, see Email Setup.
Simplified Email Setup
When you set up your Drake email account (Help > E-Mail > Setup > Accounts > Add Account), you have a large list of popular email suppliers to choose from. Your selection automatically completes the incoming and outgoing mail server information in the email setup window, and you can still set up server information manually if you prefer.
In addition, Drake Documents and the Drake Scheduler can now use the Drake email settings as well:
- In the Drake Documents, go to Setup > Options and mark Use my Drake email account.
- In the Scheduler, go to Setup and select the Email tab. Mark Use my Drake email account.
In Drake Documents and the Scheduler, you still have the option to use a MAPI-compliant email program installed on your computer (such as Outlook).
Note: If you have multiple email accounts added, only the active account will be used when sending emails within Drake Tax. Ensure that you have selected the correct account by going to Help > E-Mail > Setup > Accounts, highlighting the desired account, and clicking Set Active Account.
Drake Email Errors
Error sending "under current settings":
Under the current settings/configuration, the software only supports sending messages to Drake Software.
When an email account is set up, messages can be sent to others.
Drake Software requires a third party email account from an online provider to send email to any address other than DrakeSoftware.com.
To email a client, your choices are to
- set up an email account in the software (see "Drake Email Setup" in Related Links below)
- use a MAPI-compliant Windows default email program in View at Email > Email to Client (using Windows default email)
- or email from outside Drake Software.
The specified sender address is invalid or not recognized.
This error can be caused by punctuation in the Your Name field on the Email setup window. Remove any periods, commas, etc. from that field and test settings again.
If you receive an SMTP error when attempting to send an email through Drake, return to email setup under Help > Email > Setup > Accounts. Select the email that has been set up, then select Edit Account. Verify that the email information is correct, then select Test Settings. If the test fails and all email information (including the email password) is entered correctly, check the following items:
- Check your inbox for an email from your email provider with information regarding the blocked login. In some cases, instructions for resolving the issue may be included.
- If using Gmail or Yahoo, and two-step verification is turned on, see Related Links below.