What options are there for emailing out of Drake Tax or emailing to Drake Support?
You can email Drake Software (that is, any DrakeSoftware.com address), from the Home window, or from within a return in data entry or in View. Attachments can include client data and print files, PDF documents, and diagnostic files (system information, and Drake printer settings, program settings and installation information).
You can email a client and attach documents -
- You can use your third-party online email account if you set it up in the software. Drake email requires a third-party email account, such as Gmail, Yahoo, or some other online email provider to send email to a client.
- You can still use your Windows default email program in View mode (Email > Email to Client (using Windows default email)). If you have a MAPI-compliant email program installed, such as Outlook, and have it set as your Windows default email, you can open it from View to send an email to any address.
What if you don't set up a third-party email account in Drake?
You can still email Drake Support and, if you have a MAPI-compliant Windows default email program, you can email clients from View Mode (Email > Email to Client (using Windows default email)).
How does Drake email work?
Using Drake email, you can always email Drake Support for assistance, but you also have the option to set up and use your own third-party email accounts in the software.
ADMIN decides whether to set up a separate office email account and sets rules that control which users can access the office account or set up individual email accounts.
Email to Drake Support (any DrakeSoftware.com address).
To email Drake Support, Drake email uses a default resident Drake email function unless a third-party account has been set up and is available, in which case the third-party email account is used.
Note: Ensure that the third-party email is functional if you set it up - use the “Test Settings” feature in the Email setup. A broken account, one that does not work, prevents email and must be removed to enable the resident Drake email function to work.
Attached client data files sent to Drake Support are sent separately from the email, by a secure file transfer protocol.
Email to a client (any address other than a DrakeSoftware.com address).
To email a client, Drake email requires an available, functional third-party email account. Or, in a return you can go to View and use your Windows default email, or you can go outside the software to send email.
Where do you find the Drake email functions?
- Home window email setup options (on the Help menu)
- Help > Email > Setup > Account - Set up a third-party email account.
- Help > Email > Setup > ADMIN Options - Set up an office email account and configure preparer email restrictions (requires ADMIN login).
- Home window email (Help > Email) - Opens Drake email third-party account if set up; otherwise opens the resident Drake email function. Click Attach or Add to open the Attachments dialog box, where client data files (current and prior year), diagnostic files, PDFs and other files can be attached or removed.
- Data entry email (the Email icon inside a return) - Opens Drake email. This is like Home window email, except the email editor opens with the client data file attached (useful for email to Drake Support).
- View mode email (the Email icon in View). When you click the icon
- The email editor opens with
- all selected documents attached in a single PDF file.
- the client's email address in the To field (if present on screen 1), except for Email to Drake Support.
- You can click Attach or Add to open the Drake email Attachments dialog box, where client data files (current and prior year), diagnostic files, PDFs and other files can be attached or removed (except for Windows default email, which uses its own attachment tools).
- You can pick from four (five in Drake16) email choices on the drop list (click the arrow next to the icon to produce the drop list):
- Email to Client (using Windows default email) - Opens your default, MAPI-compliant email editor, such as MS Outlook, if you have one. If documents are selected, the editor opens with the documents attached as a single PDF file and a default message explaining the encryption password.
- Email to Client (using Drake email) - Opens Drake email third-party account if set up. If documents are selected, the editor opens with the documents attached as a single PDF file and with a default message explaining the encryption password for attachments.
- Email to Client - Affordable Care Act (ACA) Assessment (Drake16 only) - Opens Drake email third-party account if set up, unless changed at Setup > Email. The editor opens with the client's ACA assessment attached and a default ACA message and password encryption explanation.
- Email to Drake Support - Opens Drake email third-party account if set up; otherwise opens the resident Drake email function. The editor opens with the client's print and data files attached and any selected documents attached. The To field and the message field are blank. Note: If there is a third-party email account set up for the user, it must work or be removed. A broken email account prevents sending email.
- Email Setup (this selection is not displayed unless you have ADMIN privileges) - In Select Email Method, choose Use My Email Software (Windows default email) or Use Drake Software Internal Email (Drake email). This setting determines whether Drake or Windows default email opens when you click the Email icon, or when you select the ACA assessment client email from the View Email drop list.
- Drake Documents Working Cabinet or Archive Cabinet email - Drake Documents can be set up (DDM Setup > Options) to use either your MAPI-compliant Windows default email program, or your Drake email third-party account if set up.
- Scheduler - The Scheduler can be set up (Scheduler Setup > Email tab) to use either your MAPI-compliant Windows default email program, or your Drake email third-party account if set up.
How can I see the emails I sent through the software?
From the Home window of the software, select the Help menu and choose E-mail from the drop list. When the Email – Inbox opens, select Sent Items from the menu on the left. Messages sent are displayed in the window to the right. Double-click any of them to view the message sent.
You see what has been sent from the active email account - the example above is a preparer-configured Gmail account.