You can use global flag options to highlight a screen that contains flagged fields when a new return is created, or to flag fields on a screen whenever the screen is opened.
Global flagging allows the administrator to choose fields that the preparer must look at on each return or screen:
- Flag For Review When Return Is Created - This form of global flagging requires the preparer to open the flagged screen and clear the fields before e-filing.
- Fields can be flagged for new or newly updated returns. When a return is created or updated from the prior year (after the setting is enabled), the screen link is highlighted on the data entry menu for screens containing the fields.
- This applies even if the screen was not present in that return in the prior year. If the entire screen is not needed, you can delete the screen instead of verifying it.
- An "unverified field" message is produced that prevents e-filing if the flagged fields are not cleared.
- Flag For Review When Screen Is Created - This form of global flagging does not require the preparer to open the flagged screen. But if the screen is opened, the flagged fields must be cleared before e-filing.
- Fields can be flagged on new or existing returns. The screen link is not highlighted on the data entry menu unless the screen is opened.
- An "unverified fields" message is produced only if the screen is opened and the flagged fields are not subsequently cleared.
Note: Even if you do not have a global flag set, your returns may display flags for certain fields due to state update limitations and requirements. See Related Links below for details on these flagged fields.
Follow these steps to globally flag a field:
Watch the video Administrative Options Setup for a demonstration.
- Go to Setup > Options > Administrative Options. (To see the Administrative Options tab, you are required to be logged into the software as ADMIN)
- Select Use customized flagged fields on all returns.
- Click the Flag button.
- Select the package you want to flag a field in.
- Access the desired screen.
- Right-click the desired fields and choose the appropriate item from the right-click menu:
- To have the software flag the field and change the font color of the screen name to green when the return is created, choose Flag For Review When Return Is Created.
- To have the software only flag a field when the screen itself is created, choose Flag For Review When Screen Is Created.
- Exit back to the Administrative Options screen and click OK to save the settings.