I am amending a 1040-NR return. Why is the 1040-X, page 1 blank?
Only demographic information (name, address, SSN) should be entered on page 1 of the 1040-X when completing for a 1040-NR. The remaining lines of the 1040-X page 1, and page 2 parts 1 and 2 will remain blank. An explanation of changes should be entered in part 3. The changes are then reflected on the new or corrected 1040-NR return in the view mode with 'AMENDED' printed at the top of the form.
Per the 1040-X Instructions:
"Resident and nonresident aliens. Use Form 1040X to amend
Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ. Also, use Form 1040X if you
should have filed Form 1040 (or, for years before 2018, Form
1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) instead of Form 1040NR or
1040NR-EZ, or vice versa.
To amend Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or to file the correct
return, do the following:
- Enter your name, current address, and social security number
(SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the
front of Form 1040X.
- Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t
complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
- Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.
- Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040, Form
- Across the top of the new or corrected return, write
- Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X"
For more information, see Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.
For instructions on how to amend a 1040 series return in Drake Tax see Related Links below. For a demonstration, watch the video Amended Return.