How do I generate a report for clients with ITINs?
In 2016, the IRS announced changes to their ITIN program that may require some taxpayers to renew their ITINs. You can run a report for taxpayers, spouses, and dependents that may have an ITIN so that you can know which of your clients will need to renew.
The reports within Drake Tax can be customized in order to generate a list of taxpayers, spouses, and dependents who have ITINs. Use the following process to customize and generate this report:
- From the main screen of the software go to Reports > Report Manager.
- Under the Client Reports category, choose Client Contact. To capture clients and their addresses, select the Address List report. To capture email and phone numbers, select the Contact List (individual) report.
- After selecting a report, click Edit Report at the bottom of the screen:
- In the Report Editor – Step One screen, customize the report title by adding “ITIN” to the end of the name.
- In the Select Report Columns section, add Spouse ID and Spouse Name columns as well as Dependent ID and Dependent First Name columns to the report.
- Drag and drop the items in the list to re-order the columns so that the Spouse First Name column is beside the Spouse ID, and the Dependent First Name column is beside the Dependent ID.
- Click Next at the bottom of the screen.
- In the Report Editor – Step Two screen, click the Edit Filters button beside Select a report filter.
- On the Filter Manager screen, click the New Filter button. Enter “ITIN” to indicate that this new filter will be used to capture ITIN information.
- Click OK.
- In the Additional Search Conditions for the Selected Filter section, click Add Condition.
- In the Filter Condition Editor window, choose Taxpayer ID from the Keyword Name drop-down field.
- In the Comparison field, choose starts with and enter the Value as 9.
- Click Ok.
- Conditions will also need to be set for ITIN values for the Spouse ID and Dependent ID categories. Repeat steps 11-14 to add conditions for Spouse ID and Dependent ID keywords. Once all conditions have been added, the additional search conditions for the ITIN filter should appear as below:
- Make sure that the radio button Match Any Condition is marked.
- Click Save at the bottom to return to the Report Editor - Step 2 screen.
- The Additional Report Options section provides an option to sort the report results by category.
- Confirm all options and click Save at the bottom.
- The customized report appears in the My Reports section of the Report Manager.
- Select the Report and click View Report.
Once the report has generated, it can be printed, exported to Excel, or exported to a CSV file.
To get a list of expiring ITINs, first, generate the ITIN report using the steps above. Then, export the report to Excel and sort the results to determine which ITINs are expiring. The IRS has provided a list of ITIN ranges that are set to expire as follows. Affected taxpayers will also receive a CP-48 Notice detailing that they are required to renew their expiring ITIN.
- Expiring 12/31/2020:
- Expiring 12/31/2020 if assigned before 2013 and if not already renewed: