I am editing my reports within Drake Tax, how does the Filter Manager work?
The Filter Manager feature allows you to customize the behavior of report filters within the application. The application uses the filter(s) to search the database and return output for a specific report.
The Filter Manager is accessed by clicking the Edit Filters button from the Report Editor – Step 2 dialog.
- Select an Available Filter. Choosing an item from this list refreshes the information displayed on the screen. You can add a new, rename, or copy a filter to the list. See Available Filters and Important: Editing Filters below for more information.
- Review the filter settings displayed for the selected filter.
- Select Match All Conditions to match all the conditions listed in this section or Match Any Condition to match any one of the conditions listed in this section. When no conditions have been set, these options are disabled.
- Click Save to save and use the filter or Exit to leave the Filter Manager without applying the filter.
This area provides a list of all standard and any previously created custom filters.
Creating a New Filter
- Click New Filter.
- Enter a name in the provided text box.
- Click OK. The new filter is now available in the Available Filters list.
Copying a Filter
- This feature is used to customize an existing filter while retaining the original for future use.
- Click the filter list item you want to copy. The selected filter is highlighted.
- Click Copy Filter.
- Enter a name in the provided text box.
- Click OK. The copied filter with the new name is now available in the Available Filters list. The copy has the same conditions and settings as the original.
Renaming a Filter
- This feature is used to change the name of an existing filter.
- Click the filter list item you want to rename. The selected filter is highlighted.
- Enter the new name.
- Click OK.
Additional Search Conditions
Additional conditions are based on a selected Keyword Name and a Comparison. The application allows up to 10 additional conditions per filter. Each keyword is a separate condition. Within this area of the screen, you can add, edit, or delete conditions.
If you are editing or creating a report and enter a date for a filter condition, use this format: MMDDYYYY.
The Filter Manager assumes your entry is in the MMDDYYYY format. If you enter a date in a different sequence, it may produce an unintended result.
Adding Additional Conditions
- Click Add Condition.
- Select a Keyword Name from the provided drop list.
- Select a Comparison from the provided drop list. Options available are dependent to the keyword selected. Certain conditions require additional information be entered.
- Ask about this Condition each time the Filter is used is an option that, when selected, alerts the user when this filter is in use.
Editing Additional Conditions
- Click the condition you want to edit. The selected condition is highlighted.
- Click Edit Condition.
- Make your changes.
- Click OK.
Deleting Additional Conditions
- Click the condition you want to delete. The selected condition is highlighted.
- Click Delete.
Important: Editing Filters
Changing an existing filter will change the output of any report that currently uses it. The software will give an alert message box the will let you know all the reports that will be impacted by your change.
If you want all reports using this filter changed, select the Edit button. If you want only the report being edited to be changed, select the Copy button. If you don't want to change this filter at all, select No to return to the report editor without making changes.
- You can avoid a filter problem by creating new filters when you create a new report. Name the filter with the name of the report so it's easy to identify, and don't use it in other reports.
- You can correct an existing problem filter by editing the filter back to its original conditions. If you correct the filter so your earlier saved report is accurate, you will want to create a separate new filter for the later saved report, or create a new report with a new filter, so that both reports don't use the same filter.
The below information is a step by step guide that will help prevent this type of issue from occurring.
- To avoid this problem when you create a new report, save the filter with a new name whenever you create a report. You can do this on the Filter Manager screen. For example -
- Go to Reports > Report Manager, create a new report and click Next when you complete the Report Editor – Step 1 screen.
- Report Editor – Step 2 is opened.
- Select Edit Filters. The Filter Manager window is opened. To use an existing filter, select a filter from Available Filters and click Copy Filter, or click New Filter to create a new one. Either way, you are prompted for a new name for the copied or new filter. Enter a name that is not on the list and click OK. A simple filter naming convention is to use the name of the report in which you use the filter.
- The new or copied filter is highlighted. Modify the Basic Search Conditions and the Additional Search Conditions for your filter, as appropriate (there is a limit of ten Additional Search Conditions per filter).
- Click Save. The program returns to the Report Editor - Step 2 window.
- Click Save again to save the report.
- To close the Report Manager, click Exit.
- To correct this problem for a specific report, edit the report. On the Report Manager screen, click the report to select it, click Edit to open the Report Editor – Step 1 screen and click Next to open Report Editor – Step 2. Select Edit Filters to open the Filter Manager screen. Select the problem filter and modify the basic or additional search conditions to remove any existing incorrect filter condition. If needed, modify the filter by adding back any original conditions that the report requires. Proceed as above to save the filter and the report.
For more information on editing Reports, see Related Links below or the Drake Software Manual.
Note: If the client file has been password protected, the client will not show up in reports or labels by default. To allow these to show up, starting in Drake19, go to Setup > Options > Administrative Options tab and check the box Include password protected returns in reports (Admin Only).