Drake Accounting®: How do I setup a MICR Bank?
Drake Accounting® uses MICR (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition) bank account information when printing a MICR check. You may set up as many accounts as needed for each client. Magnetic Ink Character Recognition (MICR) was developed in 1956 for the banking industry and gives banks a secure and faster method of processing checks. It uses special characters and magnetic ink or toner on blank check stock to print the numbers and characters found on the bottom of checks — usually the check number, routing number, and account number. A laser printer that accepts MICR toner is required to print these checks. A document printed with MICR ink is read by passing it through a machine that first magnetizes the ink on the MICR line and then reads the magnetic signals. Each character gives off a magnetic signal unique and identifiable to that character.
This article addresses setting up MICR checks and bank account information in Drake Accounting® 2019 and prior. See Related Links below for instructions on setting this information up in future years.
Before setting up a MICR Bank, you have to create the MICR Check Design under Firm > MICR Check Designer.
- Design Code — Enter any positive whole number between 1 and 9999. This number should be unique for each design.
- Design Name — Enter a name for your design.
- NELCO Check Forms — Select a NELCO brand form from the drop list of supported blank check stock. When a check stock is selected from the drop list, that check’s placement and measurements for printing automatically display.
- Manually specify check placement & measurements — Select this check box if your check stock is not included in the drop list.
- If you need to adjust these settings or are not using NELCO check stock, select the Manually specify check placement & measurements check box. The Check Placement, Perf 1, Perf 2, and Bottom settings become available for adjustment.
- MICR Line — The MICR Line positioning is based on the Perforation below it, so on the Top format checks, the MICR Line is based on Perf 1,Middle on Perf 2, and Bottom on Bottom measurement.
- Check Placement — Blank check stock comes in 8.5 X 11 inch sheets and is perforated with the “check” portion at the top, middle, or bottom, of the page. Select the appropriate option button.
- Inches from Page Top — Measure the following from the top of the check stock:
- Perf 1 — Measure from the top of the page to the first perforation and enter that measurement into the Perf 1 field. Only use this field if you have the Top check stock format selected.
- Perf 2 — Measure from the top of the page to the second perforation and enter that measurement into the Perf 2 field. Only use this field if you have the Middle check stock format selected.
- Bottom — Enter the measurement of the length of the page, from top to bottom and enter that into the Bottom field. Only use this field if you have the Bottom check stock format selected.
- Show/Print Field — By default, all fields and field labels print on MICR checks. Select the fields and field labels you want to remove by clearing the appropriate check boxes.
- Font Tool — The current settings for the selected field appear on the left side of the Font Tool. To change a field's font, size, and style, select the field. The selected field's font attributes display on the left side of the Font Tool. Use the Font Name and Font Size drop lists and the Bold, Italic, and Underline check boxes to set the selected field's individual appearance.
- The MICR Check Designer displays a mock-up of a check, including default fields with their locations and sizes.
- To move or resize the check’s fields so that they print properly:
- Click a field to select it.
- The field name will turn blue.
- Resizing handles (eight small white squares) appear along the border.
- Rest your pointer over the resizing handles and the cursor changes to a double-headed arrow to indicate the resizing mode.
- Click, hold down the left mouse button, and drag the handle to resize the field.
- To move a field, rest your pointer anywhere over the field, click, hold, and drag the field to the desired position on the check.
- If needed, use the Font Tool section to set the font, font style, and font size of each field on the check.
Once that window has been completed with the necessary information, click Save. Then go to Setup > MICR Bank Accounts > New.
- Bank Code (required): Create a bank code which must be unique for each bank to add the MICR bank account.
- Bank Name (required):This should be the full name of the bank as you want it to appear on the check.
- Bank Info 1 and Bank Info 2: Optional fields to be entered if needed.
- Bank Account (required): Enter the account number for this bank from which the checks will be issued.
- Bank Routing (required): Enter the routing number for this bank from which the checks will be issued.
- Fractional Routing (required):
- Next Check # (required): This field is used if you are starting at a check other than 1.
- Digits (required): Enter a number in this field to define the number of digits in the check number. If the number of digits in a check number without leading zeros is smaller than the Digits number, leading zeros are added to the check number to make them equal. Equal or larger than the Digits number, the check number is not changed. For example, a “6” entered in the Digits box will render check #4175 as 004175, but will not alter check #114175.
- Check Design (required): Choose one of the MICR check designs you created under Firm > MICR Check Designer.
- MICR Line Style (optional): Choose from the following options.
- Business (Wide), the Check Number prints first, then the Routing Number, and the Account Number prints last.
- Personal (Narrow), the Routing Number prints first, then the Account Number, and the Check Number prints last.
- Payer Name (required): Enter the individual or business who is issuing the check (not the preparer).
- Payer Info (required): Enter additional information about the payer.
- Minimum Amount (optional): Set the lowest amount for which a check can be issued.
- Maximum Amount (optional): Set the highest amount for which a check can be issued.
- Void After Days (optional): Enter 0 if you do not want to limit the number of days during which the check is valid.
- Signature Lines: Choose how many signature lines are available on the check.
Click Save once you have completed all of the necessary required fields on the MICR Bank Accounts window.