Drake Accounting®: How can I mask the TIN on Forms 1099, 1098, or W-2?
The option Mask ID on 1099/1098 is available from the Client > Add or Edit window, on the Federal Form Setup tab.
The option Mask ID on W-2 is available from the Client > Add or Edit window, on the Federal Form Setup tab.
A masked ID number prints with an X in the first five positions, with only the last four visible (i.e. XXX-XX-1234).
- The IRS requires the full ID number to be displayed on Copy A or Copy 1, therefore, masking will not be applied to either copy.
- Masking does not apply to the filer's TIN.
- Per the instructions: "A filer's TIN may not be truncated on any form."
- Masking is not allowed on Form W-2G.
- Per the instructions: "Filers of information returns are permitted to truncate a payee's TIN (SSN, ITIN, ATIN, or EIN) on most payee statements. The payee's TIN may not be truncated on Form W2-G."