Drake Accounting®: What are my options for paying payroll tax liability through DAS?
The options for payroll tax liability payments at this time are:
- Drake Accounting® (Client > Edit > Online Payment tab).*
- You must complete the 94x File section on the e-File Options tab before the Online Payment tab can be edited.
- This payment option is effective only at the time the 94x form is uploaded to the IRS.
- It cannot be used independently from form upload.
- Be sure to change the requested payment date for each 94x form and period as applicable.
- Note that there is no IRS acknowledgement of a deposit made using this method. If you want a confirmation, you must contact IRS.
- The IRS Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS).
- Deposits through EFTPS must be scheduled by 8 p.m. EST the day before the date due or the deposit will not be “on time.”
- A financial institution initiating a same-day wire payment.
On December 7, 2010 the IRS published rules that discontinued use of paper coupons for Federal Tax Deposits and required electronic fund transfer (EFT) for payments after December 31, 2010.
*Note: The IRS has imposed limits on payments made with the 94x e-file. Per Publication 15:
"Payment with return. You may make a payment with a timely filed Form 941 or Form 944 instead of depositing, without incurring a penalty, if one of the following applies.
- You're a monthly schedule depositor (defined later) and make a payment in accordance with the Accuracy of Deposits Rule, discussed later in this section. This payment may be $2,500 or more.
- Your Form 941 total tax liability for either the current quarter or the prior quarter is less than $2,500, and you didn't incur a $100,000 next-day deposit obligation during the current quarter. If you aren't sure your total tax liability for the quarter will be less than $2,500 (and your liability for the prior quarter wasn't less than $2,500), make deposits using the semi-weekly or monthly rules so you won't be subject to an FTD penalty.
- Your Form 944 net tax liability for the year is less than $2,500.
- Your Form 944 net tax liability for the year is $2,500 or more and you already deposited the taxes you owed for the firs, second, and third quarters of the year; your net tax for the fourth quarter is less than $2,500; and you're paying, in full, the tax you owe for the fourth quarter with a timely filed return."