Drake Accounting®: How do I file an extension for a W-2 , W-2G, 1098, 1099 or other information return?
To request an extension, complete and file Form 8809, Application for Extension of Time To File Information Returns. Form 8809 is available under Tools > Print Blank Forms > Federal > Misc > 8809.
The due dates for non-extended informational returns are:
Extensions on Form 8809 may be requested:
- Online (preferred):
- Complete the fill-in Form 8809 through the IRS FIRE system.
- After logging in, select “Extension of Time Request” from the Main Menu Options.
- Acknowledgements are automatically displayed online if the request is made by the due date of the return.
- On paper - Form 8809:
See the Form 8809 Instructions for more information, other filing options, or to access a fillable PDF of the form.
Alternatively, for a 1099 series return extension only, complete the following steps:
Go to e-Filings > 1099/1098 > Create Extension File.
- Enter the Control Code.
Note: A Transmitter Control Code must be obtained to e-file 1099/1098 information. This is a five-character alphanumeric code assigned by the IRS/ECC-MTB. Submit Form 4419 to the IRS to obtain a TCC.
- Complete the Payer Information section:
- TIN — Enter the nine-digit Taxpayer Identification Number assigned to the taxpayer. A number that is all zeros, ones, twos, etc., results in an invalid TIN.
- Name — Enter the name of the payer whose TIN has been entered. If additional room is need for the name, use the Name-Cont field.
- Recipient Request Indicator — Select this box if the extension request is to furnish statements to the recipients of the information return.
- Address — Enter the address of the payer. The street address should include number, street, apartment or suite number, or PO Box if mail is not delivered to a street address.
- City — Enter the city, town, or post office of the payer.
- State — Enter the two-character state code.
- Zip — Enter the nine-digit ZIP code assigned by the U.S. Postal Service. If only the first five digits are known, then use the five-digit ZIP code.
- Click Create File.
To transmit Forms 1099 and 1099 extension requests:
- Go to e-Filings > 1099/1098 > Transmit File.
- Click the IRS Fire link to access the IRS FIRE website and upload Forms 1099 and 1099 extension requests.
- Click the IRS Test link to access the IRS FIRE test website. Use this to send a test file for a state that you have not previously uploaded to the IRS.
- Once connected to the FIRE website, click Log On.
- Enter your User ID and Password (This is specific to the IRS FIRE site).
- Click Login.
- Click Click here to continue.
- Click Send Information Returns.
- Enter your TCC and TIN.
- Click Submit.
- Click Accept.
- Click either Original File or Correction File.
- Click Submit.
- Enter your 10-digit PIN and click Submit.
- Click Browse to locate the file and open it.
- Click Upload.