Drake Accounting®: Are there special requirements when printing W-2/W-3 or 1099/1096 forms?
Yes, the IRS and SSA maintain certain requirements on forms to allow processing. Drake Accounting® provides approved scannable W-2 SSA Copy A and W-3 SSA Copy A forms. However, 1099 SSA Copy A and 1096 SSA Copy A require pre-printed "red-line" forms.
The SSA approved options for each form are as follows:
- W-3 SSA Copy A can be printed on blank paper with a laser printer. DAS18 only supports printing on blank paper; both form and data are printed.*
- W-2 SSA Copy A can be printed on blank paper with a laser printer or on pre-printed forms. DAS18 only supports printing on blank paper; both form and data are printed.*
- W-2 Other copies can be printed on blank paper, where both form and data are printed.* The IRS requires that the copies "...be easily separated" with "the best method of separation [being] to provide perforations between the individual copies. To accommodate this IRS guideline, Drake recommends printing on the blank perforated forms available through NELCO. NELCO offers perforated blank paper specifically designed for W-2 Other copies such as 4-up, 4-down, etc.
- 1099 SSA Copy A can only be printed on the red IRS form.
- 1099 Other copies can be printed on blank paper or on pre-printed forms
- 1096 SSA Copy A can only be printed on the red IRS form.
Note: Blank paper refers to normal office stock paper.
- The red IRS forms: (1099 and 1096) can be ordered only from the IRS or NELCO.
- Other forms can be ordered from the IRS, NELCO, or other suppliers.
NELCO provides Drake compatible supplies - tax folders, envelopes, cards, CD tax return envelopes and labels, specialized post cards, blank 1099s, perforated blank W-2 Forms, and several other products.
The office supplies specified for Drake Software can reviewed and ordered online at http://www.nelcosolutions.com/ (or log in to the Drake Support Web site and go to Resources > Order Supplies).
Nelco also takes orders by:
*Printing on the pre-printed form for W2s is no longer supported. Specifications from Publication 1141 are followed where applicable and all forms are programmed and approved by the SSA. 2018 SSA Approval Letter: