How do I fix "MSVCP140.dll" and "TOTP libraries" errors that show when attempting to use Multi-Factor Authentication?
These errors will appear before the QR code is generated. They will not prevent the QR code from generating or being scanned. They will, however, prevent the code produced in your authenticator from working. Instead, every time the 6-digit code is entered, you will receive a message that the code does not match.
These are the errors that you may see:
If you encounter either error when trying to use MFA authentication, you can download a Microsoft update to solve the issue.
- Close Drake Tax Software.
- In your browser, go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145.
- Select the appropriate language from the dropdown.
- Click Download.
- You will be taken to a screen that instructs you to, “Choose the download you want.”
- Select both options (vc_redist.x64.exe and vc_redist.x86.exe).
- Click Next.
- Once the files have finished downloading, run each file.
- After installation finishes, restart Drake Tax Software.
Note: These instructions apply to Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7. Other versions may not be supported.