Drake Accounting®: How do I prepare and file the Alabama A-1, A-3, and/or A-6 forms?
For filing to the Alabama Department of Revenue (DOR), DAS produces:
- A PDF copy and a TXT file of Form A-1, Employer's Quarterly Return of Income Tax Withheld.
- A PDF copy and a TXT file of Form A-3, Annual Reconciliation of Income Tax Withheld.
- A PDF copy and a TXT file of Form A-6, Employer's Monthly Return of Income Tax Withheld.
If the "Amount Remitted With This Return" on Form A-1 or Form A-6 is $750 or more, Alabama requires these forms to be filed and paid electronically. The A-3 is required to be electronically filed for employers who are submitting 25 or more W-2's, or who have filed and paid electronically during the year.
See Related Links below for required setup before creating the withholding returns.
- Select the Employees menu, then select State Tax & Wage Forms.
- Make sure AL is selected, then select the desired form (A-1, A-3, or A-6).
- Select the applicable period if preparing Forms A-1 or A-6.
- Review the form and make any necessary entries or edits.
- Make sure the e-File checkbox is marked (if e-filing), then select Save/Print.
Save/Print creates a PDF copy of the selected form that can be printed and paper-filed. If e-File was selected, a TXT file will be produced for upload to the Alabama DOR's electronic filing system, My Alabama Taxes (MAT).
- Log in to the Alabama MAT account.
- Follow the menu options to upload the withholding tax file.
- The file for upload can be found by browsing to the drive where DAS is installed > DrakeAccounting20YY > Clients > client code > EFile > AL > ALAX (where X is the form number) and selecting the file named ALAX_YYYY-MM-DD_HR_MIN_SEC.txt (where YYYY-MM-DD_HR MIN_SEC is the date and time of file creation).
For more information about preparing these forms, see the Withholding Tax Tables and Instructions for Employers and Withholding Agents guide.