Drake Accounting®: I uploaded a W-2 file to the SSA, but received an error about the employment code. How do I fix this?
If you receive a message stating that the employment code in position 219 is invalid, this indicates a missed step during client setup.
To correct this issue, follow these steps:
- Select the Clients menu, then select Edit.
- Select the Federal Form Setup tab.
- Make sure one of the following options under W-3 Information (Kind of Payer) is selected:
- Household Employer
- Medicare Government Employer
- Third Party Sick Pay
- Make sure one of the following options under W-3 Kind of Employer is selected:
- None Apply
- 501c non-government
- State/Local non-501c
- State/Local 501c
- Federal government
- Select Save, then Exit.
- Reprocess the affected W-2 forms and retransmit.