Drake Accounting®: How do I create and file the Illinois W2?
DAS produces a .txt file of the IL W2 for upload to the Illinois DOR website. This file is created when the federal W2 is processed and printed/saved (see Related Links below for the steps).
State W-2 upload files are created in the following location: C:\DrakeAccountingYYYY\Clients\ClientCode\ST where:
- “C” is the drive where Drake Accounting® is installed
- “ClientCode” is the code used to identify the client when the client was created
- “ST” is the two-letter state abbreviation.
For example, if Drake Accounting® is installed on drive "C," the client code is “Arnold,” and the client does business in Illinois, then the state W-2 upload file is created in the C:\DrakeAccounting20YY\Clients\Arnold\IL folder.
- Uploading to MyTax Illinois is not supported.
- The files created by DAS are in the EFW2 format. This is a .txt file (not a .csv or .pdf file) that must be uploaded to the state website directly.
- W-2s must be submitted to the Illinois Department of Revenue no later than January 31 of the year following the year of the withholding.