Drake Accounting®: How do I create and file the Illinois W2?
DAS creates a file that is eligible for "transmission option 2" referenced in the IL EFW2 Guide: "web file upload – Logon to this secure online application using your web browser, enter your W-2 transmitter ID and password, browse for your W-2 file, and select the file to upload. This method does not require any software download or programming."
This file is created when the federal W2 is processed and printed/saved (see Related Links below for the steps). State W-2 upload files are created in the following location: C:\DrakeAccounting20YY\DAS20YYData\Clients\ClientCode\ST (C:\DrakeAccounting20YY\Clients\ClientCode\ST in DAS20 and prior) where:
- “C” is the drive where Drake Accounting® is installed
- “ClientCode” is the code used to identify the client when the client was created
- “ST” is the two-letter state abbreviation.
For example, if Drake Accounting® is installed on drive "C," the client code is “Arnold,” and the client does business in Illinois, then the state W-2 upload file is created in the C:\DrakeAccounting20YY\DAS20YYData\Clients\Arnold\IL folder (C:\DrakeAccounting20YY\Clients\Arnold\IL in DAS20 and prior).
- The files created by DAS are in the EFW2 format. This is a .txt file (not a .csv or .pdf file) that must be uploaded to the state website directly.
- W-2s must be submitted to the Illinois Department of Revenue no later than January 31 of the year following the year of the withholding.