Various Federal and State forms can be created on-the-fly by going to On the Fly > then either Federal Forms or State Forms as needed.
This module allows you to produce forms for clients who keep their own books, vendors without invoices or processed payments, or employees that do not have any payroll recorded within the software.
Watch the On-The-Fly video for a demonstration.
To create a form on-the-fly:
- Use the Client Selector to select the client you are creating forms for.
- If the client does not yet exist, go to Client > New and create a new client, or Client > Update Prior Year if they were present in a prior year installation.
- Go to On the Fly and select either Federal or State
Note: See Related Articles for a full list of available forms and additional information on updating from the prior year.
Creating Forms 1099 On the Fly
- Select Forms 1099 from the Form Types selection box.
- Select the necessary 1099 series form from the Form box.
- Select the vendor from the Find Vendor selection box or click on the vendor in the Selection and Options section.
- If the vendor does not exist, click Create to start a new On the Fly vendor record.
- Complete the fill-form with the appropriate 1099 information. All fields with a are required
- Choose if Form 1096 will be included with the printed set and if a previously configured Electronic Signature is to be applied.
- Select the desired Print Options, such as:
- Suppressing non-required forms
- Which copies to include
- Printing on blank office paper or preprinted forms
- Form printing format
- Once you have completed the form and selected the desired print options, click Save or Save/Print.
- If you have additional On the Fly 1099 forms to create for the client, use Save to preserve the current entries and return to step 3.
Caution: If you are not e-filing, SSA Copy A is required to be printed on official "red-line" forms. A "Client Copy" watermark will be present on all Forms and Data instances of Form 1099/1096 SSA Copy A.
When you are ready to print, use the Selection and Options section to choose the vendors to include in the printed set. If the 1096 was chosen to be included, all selected vendor 1099s will be combined to calculate the 1096.
Creating Forms W-2/W/3 On the Fly
- Select Forms W-2/W-3 from the Form Types selection box.
- Select the necessary form from the Form box.
- W-2/W-3 for original forms
- W-2c/W-3c for corrected forms.
- Select the employee from the Find Employee selection box or click on the employee in the Selection and Options section.
- If the employee does not exist, click Create to start a new On the Fly employee record.
- For W-2c/W-3c, select the records to correct and click Process to load the original W-2 info that is to be corrected.
- Complete the fill-form with the appropriate information. All fields with a are required
- Choose the desired W-3 Print Options:
- Check Print W-3 to print the W-3 when you click Save/Print or Save
- (Optional) Enter a 5 digit Control number.
- (If applicable) Enter the Establishment Number
- You may use this box to identify separate establishments in a business.
- You may file a separate Form W-3, with Forms W-2, for each establishment even if they all have the same EIN; or, you may use a single Form W-3 for all Forms W-2 of the same type
- If Electronic Signatures have been previously configured, select one from the list to be applied.
- In the Print Options section, choose which copies to print and the printing format
- Once you have completed the form and selected the desired Print Options, click Save or Save/Print.
- If you have additional On the Fly W-2 forms to create for the client, use Save to preserve the current entries and return to step 3
Note: Saved Forms W-2/W-3 entries are required before Forms W-2c/W-3c can be created.
When you are ready to print, use the Selection and Options section to choose the employees to include in the printed set. If the W-3 was chosen to be included, all selected employee W-2s will be combined to calculate the W-3.
Creating Forms 94x On the Fly
- Select Forms 94x from the Form Types selection box .
- Select the necessary 94X tax return from the Form drop list.
- Choose the appropriate Frequency (only applies to certain 94x series).
- Use the Quarter selection to choose the quarter that the 94X tax return is for (only applies to certain 94x series).
- Under Selection and options, mark any additional options to apply to the Form 94x.
- Complete the fill-in form with the appropriate information for the 94x series being produced. All fields with a are required.
- When the form is complete, click Save or Save/Print
Caution: The IRS uses the amount on the Balance Due line of 94X tax returns when debiting the bank accounts specified for making electronic payments for these returns.
If using Drake Accounting®’s online payment feature, it is very important to verify the Balance Due amount on the 94x tax return prior to e-filing the return.
State Forms On the Fly
Drake Accounting® offers forms from most states to be completed On the Fly.
To enter information for states on-the-fly:
- Make the appropriate client the active client.
- Go to On the Fly > State Forms.
- Select the desired state from the State drop list.
- Select the desired form from the Form drop list.
- Enter all appropriate information directly on the form. Required information is indicated by the icon.
- Once all information has been entered, click Save/Print or Save.