How do I copy EF returns to or from a disk?
The Copy EF Returns to Disk and Copy EF Returns from Disk functions (on the EF menu) allow you to use an alternate drive, diskette, USB, etc., to move EF ready returns from one computer to another in order to transmit them. These functions are helpful when a computer with completed returns is not networked with your transmitting computer. Once you have copied the EF ready returns to the transmitting computer, the returns can be selected and transmitted immediately. Make sure that both installations of DrakeTax are fully up to date before performing the following functions.
Warning: Do not use these functions for general-purpose file backup or transfer. Neither function provides a warning before overwriting existing files. Note that you are unable to open returns moved using this function on the target computer, so the return must be complete and ready for EF with no additional changes needed. For general-purpose file backup or transfer of client data files, use Tools > File Maintenance > Backup and Restore instead.
Copying EF Returns to Disk
When you Copy EF Returns TO Disk, you copy both the selected client files and the associated print files from Drake to another drive (shared, network, CD, or flash) that you are prompted to select. The folder DrakeYY\Export is created on the root of the selected drive and the files are copied into the Export folder. (“YY” refers to the year, as shown in the figure below.)
To copy the EF returns to the disk, follow these steps:
- Insert your CD, USB/flashdrive, or other storage device. Note the drive letter that the device will be using (i.e. E:\, D:\, etc.).
- Select EF > Copy EF Returns to Disk.
- The EF Return Selector opens. Only returns with an existing print file are listed. If a return to be copied is not in the list, recalculate the return and clear any EF messages.
- Select returns to copy. You can Select All and Unselect All for quicker copy selections.
- Click Continue.
- The Drake Copy EF Returns to Disk dialog box opens.
- Use the Select Drive drop list to choose the destination to which to copy the files. Use the drive letter of the storage device noted in step 1.
- Click Copy Files. Files are copied to the chosen destination.
- Eject the storage device and go to the other computer.
- The Copy EF Returns to Disk function lists the returns to select for copying. Only those returns that have an associated print file will be included in the list. To have a return included in the list, calculate the EF ready return to create a print file. (The print file is created automatically when the return is calculated.)
- You can clear individual returns from the list, or clear the entire list, by deleting print files at Tool > File Maintenance > Delete Print Files.
- A return copied into the DrakeYY\Export folder will overwrite a return and print file already in the folder, if the return and print file have a matching SSN and return type.
- To copy to a CD when using an older operating system, you may need to have additional software installed.
Warning: Do not eject removable media before copying is complete. Otherwise, there is a risk of file corruption.
Copying EF Returns from Disk
When you Copy EF Returns FROM Disk, you move the files from the DrakeYY\Export saved location into the Drake software installation where you invoked the function. All files are moved and the DrakeYY\Export folder, at the saved location, is emptied.
To copy the EF returns from the disk, follow these steps:
- Insert the storage device that contains the copy of the EF returns. Note the drive letter for this storage device.
- Select EF > Copy EF Returns from Disk.
- The Copy EF Returns from Disk dialog box opens.
- From the Select the drive drop list, choose the drive where the EF files are located. This is the same drive that was noted in step 1.
- Click Copy Files. The files copy from the diskette, USB drive, etc. to the specified destination.
- Files are now available under EF > Select Returns for EF in the destination installation of DrakeTax.
- Do not move DrakeYY\Export off the root into another folder of the drive. The software will not be able to find it.
- If the return has been calculated and is ready to e-file, it will be ready to e-file when moved to another Drake installation using this function.
- This function overwrites, without warning, any return in Drake (where you invoke the function) that has the same SSN and return type as a return you are moving from the saved location.