Drake Accounting®: Can I set up payroll for a client who has employees in different physical locations (cities and/or states)?
Yes, starting in Drake Accounting® 2019, you can set up multiple business locations for a client and run payroll for employees who work in those locations without having to set up the client and employees in separate client files by location. Follow the steps below to set up and then select your multi-location options. See Related Links for more information on general setup for Drake Accounting® clients and employees. To indicate that a client has multiple business locations (multi-city or multi-state) for payroll purposes in Drake Accounting®, follow the steps below.
Important: Payroll rates, taxes, deductions, and benefits must be set up for each location, as applicable.
Watch the video, Multi-Location Payroll Setup, for a demonstration of the following steps:
- Go to Client > Add or Client > Edit.
- Complete all required fields (validation indicator) and select any additional items (optional).
- In DAS19 ONLY, on the Contact Information tab, check the box Multi-Location Client.
- Click Save.
- Next, set up the different Locations in which the business (your client) operates and has employees under Client > Locations.
- The first location listed is the primary location, or the address listed under Client Setup. Address changes for this location must be made under Client > Edit. Items on the Federal Tax, State Tax, and Local Tax tabs should be completed as needed.
- Click Save after making any changes.
- To set up other locations, click New. Complete applicable information on the Location Information, Federal Tax, State Tax, and Local Tax tabs, as needed. Once finished, click Save.
- Repeat the process to set up any additional locations.
- To temporarily hide a location from appearing on the Payroll screens for a single employee, check the box next to the location in the Inactive column under Employees > Employee Setup > Locations.
- To reactivate the location, simply click in the box next to the applicable location to clear the check mark and click Save. When running payroll afterwards, the location will be active and appear on the payroll screens.
- To remove a location from the employee’s setup, click the Delete button. This will not remove the location for the client in general. To delete a client's secondary business location, go to Client > Locations and click Delete.
- Important: If a location has been set up and selected for an employee under Employees > Employee Setup, or if the location has payroll associated with it, the location cannot be deleted from that client file. This is because end of year forms such as a W-2 would required the location information to produce properly. If a location was set up incorrectly, you would first need to delete the payroll associated with the location before you can then delete the location from the client setup.
- Go to Employees > Employee Setup to enable locations for each employee who works in multiple or alternate locations.
- Click on the Employee who will be working in multiple locations.
- On the Personal Information tab, check Works at Multiple Locations.
- Note: this option will not be shown in DAS19 unless the option Multi-Location Client is selected on the Client Setup screen, and will not be shown in DAS20 until multiple locations have been setup under Client > Locations (see above).
- The primary location created under Client > Locations will display in the upper right hand corner under the Locations section.
- To add additional locations for this employee, click the New () button.
- Set the locations up in order of priority, where the primary location in which the employee works is listed first in the Locations section. Use the arrow buttons to change the order.
- To set up this employee’s checks to show a single check displaying all locations, check the box Combine Checks below the option Works at Multiple Locations.
- This will display all the locations in which wages were earned on one check.
- Leaving this option unchecked will create a separate check for each location.
- This option applies only to this specific employee, however, you can enable this option globally by client. If you would like all employees to have this option enabled for the client, check the box Combine Checks under Employees > Options > Multi-Location section.
Benefit and Deduction Setup
- Go to Employees > Deductions & Benefits. On both the Deductions and Benefits tabs, a State column is displayed for each listed deduction or benefit.
- If <ALL> is selected, this means the deduction/benefit will apply to all states or locations. To assign a deduction/benefit to a specific state, choose the state in the drop list. Ensure relevant information is completed for each deduction/benefit.
- Once finished, initiate the change for the employee(s):
- Click Save to save the information on the global Deductions and Benefits screen.
- Then go to Employees > Employee Setup.
- Click on the first employee.
- Go to the Deductions tab or Benefits tab, and hit F3 on your keyboard to update the changes.
- Click Save.
- Repeat this process for all applicable employees.
- Globally for all employees for this client:
- On the Deductions and Benefits setup screen, click Apply to All. This will save the information in the Deductions and Benefits Setup, and apply these updates to all employees.
- Caution: This will override any customization in the Employee Setup for all employees.
- A confirmation will display, and click Yes to continue.
- Once setup has been completed for Deductions and Benefits, return to Employee Setup to verify that each employee has the correct location(s) and corresponding deductions and benefits. Make changes as needed.